The Ocracoke Harbor is easily the busiest quarter mile stretch of Ocracoke Island. Consisting of a small, lagoon-like section of saltwater, and lined by a semi-circle of docks, restaurants, shops, marinas and motels, visitors will find that any and all of the activities on Ocracoke Island can most certainly be found harbor front.
- 2 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- Air Conditioning
- Carbon Monoxide Detector
- Children Welcome
- Coffee Maker
- Deadbolt Lock On Entryway
- Dining Area
- Dishes & Utensils
- Emergency Exit Route
- Fire Extinguisher
- First Aid Kit
- Hair Dryer
- Living Room
- Non Smoking Only
- Outdoor Lighting
- Paper Towels
- Pets Considered
- Porch / Veranda
- Satellite / Cable
- Smoke Detectors
- Toilet Paper
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
- Wireless Internet
About this PropertyThis remodeled bungalow has a excellent front porch for savoring sitting outdoor and calming. It was modernized in 2018 and a second bedroom was added in 2019. It is a two bedroom (queen in the master and bunk beds in the other)we do NOT give sheets, one bath, open floor plan with living room and kitchen. The kitchen is very basic, if you are looking to prepare comfortable meals, this is NOT the place for you. Ocracoke has many fabulous eateries. The location is within walking distance to Silver Lake and the stores and eateries and is spitting distance from the British Cemetery. The beach is a mile from the rental. There is a Intelligent TV in the first bedroom and living room with internet and cable. You will need your own Netflix, Hulu or Amazon account, and for those that are not tech savvy, we have cable. We do NOT post on Craigslist, so if you see it there it is not us renting it. We only go through Vacation Rental By Owner/Home Away. We will not be giving refunds during the hurricane season June 1st-November 30th. You will want to buy insurance during that rental time if you want to be refunded due to a natural disaster. Hurricane Dorian is the reason for this new policy.
How to get the best deal on your rental
- Many management companies and rental homes supply Ocracoke area discount catalogs which feature money-saving coupons, either offered independently by local companies, or through a partnership between the property manager and the store itself. These guides may provide a great start to your vacation rental search.
- Is it possible to move your vacation week? Off-peak times offer up sizeable savings.
- Active Duty and veterans of the U.S. Armed forces may be eligible for unique discounts. Be sure to confirm with vacation rental company to see if your vacationing gang qualifies for a discount.
- Is there a certain activity that you are most longing for during your stay? Be sure to prioritize your proximity to the adventures and sight-seeing opportunities you are most looking forward to.
- Give thought to getting trip insurance along with your rental agreement. Trip insurance, which generally costs anywhere between 1% - 5% of the base vacation rental rate, provides buyers reimbursement of their trip expenses for any days missed as a result of personal medical emergencies or hurricanes, as well as ensuing additional hurricane evacuation costs or charges, like an unexpected hotel stay or extra fuel.
How to Book a Vacation Home
Some people are shocked to discover the number of vacation homes are located in their area of interest. Vacation home accommodations have gained in popularity with the rise of global search sites like Tripadvisor and VRBO.
Vacation homes are frequently owner operated or managed by rental management companies. Property management companies leverage scale, technology and practical knowledge to provide painless operational administration on behalf of the property owner..
Here are some tips and strategies to help you understand the vacation home search and booking process.
Searching for and reserving the best vacation property:
Before you start to book "Renovated cottage, great for a couple or small family.", review our short list of issues to consider.
The Earlier, The Better
Like many desirable destinations, In Ocracoke the best rental properties are booked very early. Reserving your rental home 6-12 months before your travel dates is recommended, whenever possible. Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Years are excellent times to find and reserve your rental..
Select your Place and Vacation Week
Consensus can be challenging between family members, but once this difficult part is complete everything will quickly fall in place.
Bedrooms and Bed Sizes Matter
Take a head count. How many beds and bedrooms will you need? Be mindful that most properties list maximum guest capacity, which typically includes sofa beds in the family room. It is important to determine what is acceptable for the company. Precise descriptions of bedrooms and beds are commonly available on the internet. If not, email or call the property manager before you reserve the home.
Stick to a Budget
Will the chosen vacation property suit your budget during that choice Summer week? Make sure that you get cost-sharing commitments from family and friends well before reserving a pricey rental. Usually, one member of the group will be responsible for making the full reservation and getting each party's share.
Let's Discuss Amenities
What amenities is your family looking for? Are you looking for a rental home with outdoor dining area? Are you more interested in wildlife or amusements? Are sheet sets offered with the rental, or do you need to provide your own? Create a list of priority features to help filter your search.
Occasionally the elder generation has problems with stairways. Make sure you remember and inquire about wheelchair accessibility, pool lifts and specialized equipment needs..
Make sure you include your furrry friends. Animal guidelines are different at each property. Read descriptions thoroughly. Many restrictions may possibly eliminate a prospective vacation property. Read your contract very carefully! Additional charges may apply when animals are added. Ask questions *well before* you book!
Start the Search
As soon as the location, time and family members are decided, search multiple sources for the very best rental selection. In combination with Homeaway, VRBO and Tripadvisor, we advise searching Google for "Ocracoke local rental homes" for local property management companies. Local companies often times have a unique selection of vacation homes daily and weekly.
Negotiate the Price
Re-read the description to ensure that the rental home has everything that you need. If lacking, the property management company may know of very similar homes that better fit your wishes and budget..
While not true for all properties, many owners and property managers will make a deal on rates. If they are unwilling to budge on a peak-season stay, try asking for an additional night. Negotiating rates is most effective during the off-peak season when many homes sit empty.
Go Through The Contract
You will have to know which services are included:
- Utility bills
- WIFI Access
- Phone service
- Hot Tub Heating
- Pay Per View Movies
- Cleaning Service
- Trash Pickup (and which day?)
- Maintenance (get a phone number)
- Key exchange
- Parking Space
Make sure your price includes all taxes and fees.
Cancellation policies are different with each rental. You'll likely be offered trip insurance. Trip insurance protects the renter against emergency situations and weather events, It provides peace of mind should disaster strike.
Once you believe you've identified "the one", start the booking process. You'll likely be asked to submit a security deposit at time of booking.
Know Who to Call
Put the property manager's contact info into your smart phone and wallet for easy access to answers during your stay.
Congratulations! All that is left is enjoying your vacation!
During your Stay
- Take pictures on your arrival. Take notes of any damage as soon as you arrive. If you discover damages, or if repairs are needed call the property manager immediately. If there is a dispute about responsibility later, having the documented problems and communication attempts should be valuable.
- Ask questions. If you have any ambiguity about parking, rules of the property, condo access, pool operation, etc... we recommend you ask the rental manager immediately. A quick phone call avoids many complications.
- Please be considerate of the neighborhood. Residents will probably be as friendly to you as you are respectful of them. Respecting late-night quiet hours and vehicle parking restrictions can make a trip a lot more pleasant.
- Ask a local. Local residences can often point you in the right direction. Who better to ask where to order the best pizza, have a great night out, or the best places for shopping?
- Enjoy your stay! Don't forget to protect the property owner (and your stuff!) by keeping the rental home secured while you are away, exactly like you would in your own home.
When its Time to Leave
- Tidy up a lttle bit. Although you're having to pay a house cleaning fee, The rental home should really be in sound condition. Kitchen sinks full of dirty dishes, surplus beach sand on the flooring and sticky messes ought to be taken care of prior to leaving.
- Make a point to walk through the rental home one last time and check for damages. When possible, do this walk-out review with the property owner present. If the property owner is not available, make sure to take photos of the property to record its condition.
- Did you enjoy yourself? Virtually all rental home sites ask for feedback after your stay is complete. Owners and rental managers will thank you for positive recommendations. If something was wrong and they failed to fix it in a practical manner, or when the vacation rental was not as described, you should make it a point in your feedback.
Hold a meeting with your family. Did everyone have a blast? We hope this guide helped you find a fantastic rental. If the property was not perfect, and you'll better know how to perfect your search next time.
- Dajio - 0.2 miles
- Graceful Bakery - 0.2 miles
- SmacNally's Raw Bar and Grill - 0.2 miles
- Mark's Hot Dogs - 0.2 miles
- Jolly Roger Pub and Marina - 0.3 miles
- The Slushy Stand - 0.3 miles
- Ocracoke Coffee Co. - 0.4 miles
- Thai Moon - 0.4 miles
- Kitty Hawk Kites - 0.2 miles
- Southern Environmental Law - Outer Banks - 0.4 miles
- The Anchorage Inn & Marina - 0.1 miles
- Ocracoke Preservation Society - 0.2 miles
- Ocracoke Waterman's Association Exhibit and Education Site - 0.2 miles
- Ocracoke Parasail - 0.2 miles
- Portsmouth Island ATV Tours - 0.3 miles
- Ocracoke Island Visitor Center - 0.3 miles