Nothing beats an ice-cold beverage while relaxing on the beach. Nothing is worse than reaching for an icy drink and finding your cans swimming. Coolers are essential for family days on the sand. A good modern cooler will keep food and drinks fresh for days. In addition to beverages, fishermen rely coolers to keep bait fresh, and hopefully the catch of the day. Walk onto any beach or pier in North or South Carolina and you’ll see a plethora of cooler models and sizes. Cooler technology has advanced rapidly in modern years. Top-end hard-sided coolers can keep ice frozen for a week. Soft coolers are easier for one person to carry onto a beach, but can still keep food cool for days. Cooler materials and price points vary wildly, so we put together this guide with our recommendations for your coastal vacation.
- 2 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- Air Conditioning
- Children Welcome
- Clothes Dryer
- Coffee Maker
- Deck / Patio
- Dining Area
- Dishes & Utensils
- DVD Player
- Living Room
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Not Allowed
- Satellite / Cable
- Washing Machine
About this PropertyUnwind and relish the gentle winds from the porches of this southern coastal style bungalow on Ocracoke Island. Located on a peaceful lane, Speckled Trout is within walking and cycling distance to Silver Lake Harbor, stores and eateries. Relish a nice walk to the Ocracoke Coffee Shop. The sizable open living, dining and kitchen areas offer a ideal opportunity for family to relax.
2 Bedrooms, 1.5 Baths: 1 with Queen, 1 with two Twins. Bedrooms each have a private porch.
Conveniences include central air conditioning/heat, ceiling fans in bedrooms, wireless internet access, cable TV and DVD player. The kitchen offers a microwave and dishwasher. Telephone with domestic long distance service. Washer and dryer.
The exterior offers four porches (2 screened), hot/cold outdoor shower, a huge back yard, charcoal grille and fish cleaning bench. The yard next door has chickens.
*This home does not give linens.
No Smoking. No Family Animals. Parking is limited to 2 cars.
Military Discount Available. Discount can only be applied at time of renting.
Brief Stays are available, there is a three nighttime minimum.
First Floor: Open kitchen, dining and living area with TV. Half Bath.
Second Floor: Bedroom with Queen bed. Bedroom with two Twin beds. Shared Bath with tub/shower.
Bicycle Units, Beach Items, Cottage Items and More!
*Linens, Bikes, Beach Items, Cottage and Infant Items, and more are available through Beach Outfitters. Advance orders of Beach Outfitters items can be made any time prior to your arrival by phoning Ocracoke Island Realty.
How to get the best deal on your rental
- Find the tourism bureau where you want to visit. Most tourism bureaus will offer you promotional travel guides with savings for lodging, dining and attractions. Look for these books and discount books, because this allows vacation goers to experience the very same terrific activities with a possibly significantly discounted.
- Willing to change your travel dates? Off-peak times offer up sizeable bargains.
- Active Duty and veterans of the US Military may be able to get discounts. Make sure to confirm with vacation rental company to see if your travelling group is eligible for a discounted price.
- Is there a particular activity you are mainly looking forward to during your stay? You'll receive the best value from a rental which most directly matches your ideal trip setting, even if it costs a bit more.
- Give thought to obtaining trip insurance together with your leasing contract. Trip insurance, which generally costs somewhere between 1% - 5% of the basic vacation rental cost, offers guests reimbursement of their travel expenses for any missed due to personal health emergencies or storms, as well as ensuing additional hurricane evacuation costs or charges, like an unanticipated motel stay or additional gas.
The Rental Process
Many people are shocked to discover just how many properties are available in their area of interest. With such a big selection, clients are sure to discover a rental home which fits their desires and budget.
Vacation rentals are frequently owner operated or managed by rental management companies. Property management companies leverage scale, staff and experience to provide hassle-free operational management on behalf of the homeowner..
Here are some tips and tricks to help you navigate the vacation home search and reservation process.
Where to find and reserve a great vacation home:
Do you believe "Speckled Trout: Southern coastal style cottage, enjoy the porches." is the best rental for your next trip? Look over this check list to confirm it fits all of your needs.
The Earlier You Start, The Better The Choices
Ocracoke vacation homes start booking very early. To get the best selection, begin your planning and search Six-12 months before your trip. A lot of groups decide to start their search over Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Eve holiday gatherings.
Find your Area and Identify Dates
Begin by picking which particular area of Ocracoke you want to browse, and the determine trip dates.
Bedrooms and Bed Sizes Matter
How many relatives are joining your trip? Consider that a lot of rentals list maximum guest capacity, which typically includes sofa beds in the living room. You will need to determine what is most appropriate for your party. Generally rental listings will summarize each one of the unit's specific bedrooms and mattress sizes.
Decide on Your Budget
Make certain "Speckled Trout: Southern coastal style cottage, enjoy the porches." satisfies your budget *during your desired week*. Be sure to get cost-sharing commitments from company well before booking an expensive rental property. One individual in your family needs to be in charge of collecting contributions and agreeing to responsibility for the whole rental fee at time of booking.
Its All About Amenities
What amenities is your group trying to find? Do you simply desire a vacation rental with a swimming pool, jacuzzi or volleyball court? Are you more interested in wildlife or amusements? Will the unit have bicycles and beach toys available for use throughout your stay? Create a list of priority features to guide narrow your search.
Special Factors to consider
Elderly guests will thank you for not reserving a stairs-access-only condominium on the 3rd floor. If wheel chair entry, elevators, pool lifts or other specialized equipment is required, include that into your search. Most rental home listings will include a list of amenities.
Go ahead and Take the Dog
Are you or other individuals in the party visiting with a pet dog? Although quite a few vacation rentals permit dogs and cats, guidelines and fees fluctuate per property. Make certain to study descriptions and contracts carefully. Additional fees or costs may be applied to your contract.
Its Time to Search
A number of websites exist to match renters with property owners.. Together with Homeaway, VRBO and Tripadvisor, we advise searching Google for "Ocracoke local vacation homes" for local vacation rental management companies. Local agencies will have an exclusive assortment of rental properties daily and weekly.
Re-read the description to confirm the rental home has everything that you need. If lacking, the property management company may know of comparable properties that better suit your wishes and budget..
While not true for all properties, many property owners and property managers will negotiate rates. If they are hesitant to budge on a peak-season week, try asking for an additional night. Negotiating rates is more effective during the off-season when many rental homes sit vacant.
Read the Entire Contract
It is advisable to know which services are included:
- Utility bills
- WIFI Access
- Long Distance Phone Service
- Hot Tub Heating
- Pay Per View Movies
- Trash collection
- Maintenance (get a phone number)
- Key exchange
- Parking Fees
In addition to the normal fee, travelers will have to pay state taxes when renting "Speckled Trout: Southern coastal style cottage, enjoy the porches.", in addition to various other additional fees which might be mandatory based upon their circumstances, including an animal fee, earlier check-in or later check-out fee, or a pool heating fee for private swimming pool usage during the fall or spring months.
Cancelling your Rental Home
Ensure you understand the cancellation policy prior to reserving. Vacation home management companies and home owners commonly offer their clients the choice to buy trip insurance. Trip insurance, which frequently costs between 1% - 5% of the base rental home rate, provides travellers with reimbursement of their vacation costs (and subsequent rental home costs) for any days missed resulting from personal medical-related emergencies or weather, as well as hurricane evacuation expenses, such as a unanticipated hotel stay or extra gas.
Reserve your Rental Home
When everything seems right, it's finally time for you to sign a rental agreement. You will likely have to submit a security deposit at time of booking.
Where to Get Assistance
Remember to get the manager's contact number and entry/exit procedures for your rental home. We suggest storing the contact's details in your smart phone and wallet.
Good job on booking your vacation rental! You're on the way to a phenomenal vacation!
During your Stay
- Take pictures at your arrival. To make certain no damages are linked to your stay, create a record of any trouble spots of the property. Call the property manager immediately to report your observations.
- Should there be any ambiguity about parking, policies of the property, property access, swimming pool functions, etc... we advise you ask the rental manager promptly. A quick phone call helps prevent many problems.
- Please be respectful of the neighborhood. . Remember the golden rule and treat others the same way you'd like to be treated by visitors next to your primary residence.
- Ask a local. Locals may point you in the right direction.
- Make sure to protect the rental owner (and your stuff!) by keeping the property secured while you are away, just like you would in your own home.
Check Out Time
- You should make sure you've packed everything. Examine drawers, bath cabinetry and wardrobes.
- Make sure to walk through the rental home one last time and look for damage. We suggest walking through with the rental manager whenever feasible (often this isn't possible).. If the property manager is not available, make certain to take photos of the property to record its condition.
- How was your getaway? Many rental management companies and rental search sites make it easy for travellers to offer comments. If your vacation rental and/or property manager was top-notch, they will likely appreciate your recommendations. If something went wrong, we advise being pleasant but genuine about your rental experience. Top property owners and managers will try very hard to fix the issue.
Learn from your Stay
Hold a meeting with your travel companions. Does everyone want to return next year? We hope this guide steered you to a fantastic home away from home. If the property was not quite right, and you'll better understand how to refine your search for the next time.
- Ocracoke Coffee Co. - 0.1 miles
- Pony Island Restaurant - 0.3 miles
- Ocracoke Pizza Company - 0.3 miles
- Creekside Cafe - 0.3 miles
- Thai Moon - 0.3 miles
- Sorellas Pizza & Pasta - 0.3 miles
- Ocracoke Oyster Company - 0.3 miles
- The Slushy Stand - 0.3 miles
- Kitty Hawk Kites - 0.4 miles
- Southern Environmental Law - Outer Banks - 0.3 miles
- Portsmouth Island ATV Excursions - 0.2 miles
- Deepwater Theater and Music Hall - 0.2 miles
- The Glass Bead & Java Junction - 0.3 miles
- The Anchorage Inn & Marina - 0.3 miles
- Ocracoke Parasail - 0.3 miles
- Portsmouth Island ATV Tours - 0.4 miles