- 4 Bedrooms
- 3 Bathrooms
- Air Conditioning
- Children Welcome
- Clothes Dryer
- Coffee Maker
- Dining Area
- Dishes & Utensils
- DVD Player
- Kayak / Canoe
- Living Room
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Considered
- Satellite / Cable
- Washing Machine
About this PropertyTucked in a century old grove of live oaks with Spanish moss, this traditional low-country beach home has a modern southwestern interior. Serene canal location. Breathtaking neighboring salt marsh view, shared dock, bulkhead, fish cleaning bench and huge rear yard.
Professionally designed and finished, with double height ceiling in living room and cathedral ceilings all through. Separate bed and bath wings - ideal for sizable group or 2 families. Two sizable screened porches including one handily located off the extravagant country kitchen.
Southern Comfort is an amazingly private unit despite having neighbors across the street. Tucked away in a residential neighborhood, at the very end of the road. To one side, adore the privacy offered by the adjoining neighbor’s considerable private unit and Southern Comfort's treed back yard.
4 Bedrooms, 2 Baths: 2 with Queen, 1 with two Twins, 1 with two sets of Bunk Beds. One bath has a whirlpool tub.
Conveniences include central air conditioning/heat, ceiling fans, wireless internet access, 3 TVs, including one retractable 47 inch Intelligent TV in the great room. With the ease of a remote control, you can stow away the great room TV to savor unobstructed marsh vistas. Three DVD players. The kitchen offers a microwave and dishwasher. Telephone. Washer and dryer.
The exterior offers shared *boat dockage, bulkhead, two screened porches, outdoor space swing, a hot/cold outdoor shower w/view and gas grille. Kayak access including a kayak step launch is located at the rear bulkheaded canal. Tandem kayak. Life jackets are not included, if you wish to rent them, please contact Ride The Wind Surf Shop. They will be excstatic to assist.
*This home does not give linens.
No Smoking. Pet Amiable. Limit 3 cars. Shared Dockage for 2 boats.
Brief Stays are available, there is a three nighttime minimum.
*Boat dockage at this unit is located on the inner side of the canal bridge. Height clearance may be limited, dependent upon individual boat height. Boaters should anticipate five foot vertical clearance at high tide. If you have specific questions, please note them in the special request section when making your reservation. One of our affable staff will contact you.
Single story home: Open kitchen, dining and living area with TV/DVD. Two bedrooms, each with a Queen bed, TV/DVD. Bedroom with two Twin beds. Bedroom with two Bunk beds. Bath with tub/shower. Bath with whirlpool tub.
Bicycle Units, Beach Items, Cottage Items and More!
*Linens, Bikes, Beach Items, Cottage and Infant Items, and more are available through Beach Outfitters. Advance orders of Beach Outfitters items can be made any time prior to your arrival by phoning Ocracoke Island Realty.
Money Saving Strategies
- Search for the official tourism bureau in the area you wish to travel. Many established tourism bureaus offer promotional tourism guides with special deals for rental homes, restaurants and activities. Search for these publications and coupon books, as this allows vacation goers to experience the same wonderful activities with a sometimes considerable discounted.
- Desire to avoid the crowds and lower your expenses? Off-peak times provide tremendous deals.
- Several vacation rental companies and owners offer special discounts for active duty and veteran men and women of the Military, or returning individuals to the same rental home. Be sure to confirm with vacation rental company to see if your visiting crew qualifies for a markdown.
- Some properties are particularly designed for particular groups of travellers. Event homes are best for weddings, wedding parties and corporate meetings. Some rentals cater to beach bums. Other homes are positioned close to music venues. Make sure that you prioritize your proximity to the outdoor activities and places of interest you are most interested in.
- Give thought to getting trip insurance along with your rental contract. Trip insurance, which generally add between 1% - 5% of the basic rental cost, provides travellers reimbursement of their travel costs for any days missed due to personal medical-related emergencies or hurricanes, and additionally ensuing additional hurricane evacuation costs or charges, such as an unforeseen hotel stay or extra fuel. Trip insurance might just be a bank account-saver if the unforseen happens .
General Rental property Information
Some people are shocked to discover how many properties are located in their area of interest. Rental homes are gaining in popularity among vacationers, and visitors will find that the sheer number of vacation rentals available makes it possible to find an optimum getaway to suit their Ocracoke family, from relaxing condominiums to larger event homes with several bedrooms.
Rentals are often owner operated or managed by property management companies. For property owners not directly involved with the management of their vacation home, management companies are instrumental in assisting vacationers with reserving, check-in, house cleaning, and any repairs and maintenance problems that may occur.
Below are some tips and tactics to help you navigate the rental home search and booking process.
How to find and book the best rental property:
Do you believe "Southern Comfort: Tucked among live oaks, amazing salt marsh views." is the best rental property for your next trip? Read through this checklist to ensure it fits your needs.
Search Early and Often
Ocracoke rental homes book months (and up to a year) in advance. Reserving your vacation property 6-12 months before your travel dates is recommended, when possible. Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Years are excellent times to find and book your vacation rental home..
Find your Area and Determine Dates
Agreement can be tough between members of the family, but as soon as this complicated part is complete everything will begin to drop in place.
Select a Size
Determine who is attending the vacation, and how many/what kind of bedroom configuration you'll need. Consider that most properties list maximum guest capacity, which oftentimes includes sofa beds in the living room. It is important to figure out what is acceptable for your group. Generally rental home listings will describe each of the unit's specific bedrooms and mattress sizes.
Decide on Your Budget
Most rental properties are presented with a price range. Confirm the cost for your selected stay. It may be at the top end of the range. Make sure you get cost-sharing commitments from loved ones well before reserving an expensive rental. In most cases, a single person in the group will be liable for making the whole reservation and collecting each family member's share.
Let's Talk Amenities
What amenities is your group searching for? Are you looking for a vacation property with outside dining area? Would you like to be away from it all, or near civilization? Are extras like beach chairs, barbecue grills, umbrellas, carts or coolers at your disposal and included with your rental home rate? Create a list of priority amenities to guide filter your search.
Special Things to consider
Occasionally the elder generation has challenges with stairways. Make sure you remember and ask about wheelchair access, pool lifts and special equipment requirements..
Take the Dog
Be sure to include your companion! Animals are welcome at many vacation homes, but policies can vary. Read your agreement carefully! Additional charges may apply when animals are added. Ask questions *before* you book!
The best places to Search
. In combination with Homeaway, VRBO and Tripadvisor, we suggest searching Google for "Ocracoke local rental homes" for local rental home management companies. Besides having exclusive rental properties, local companies offer you top-notch service..
Re-read the description to make sure the property has everything that you need. If it is lacking, the property management company might know of very similar homes that better suit your wishes and budget..
Although not true for all rental properties, many property owners and property managers will make a deal on rates. If the rate isn't negotiable, the number of nights may be. Off-peak weeks will likely be negotiable more often than peak-season..
Go Through The Agreement
You should know which services are included:
- Long Distance Phone Service
- Pool Heating
- Cable and pay-per-view TV
- Cleaning Service
- Trash Pickup (and which day?)
- Maintenance policies
- Key exchange
- Parking Fees
In addition to the normal price, visitors will have to pay state taxes when booking "Southern Comfort: Tucked among live oaks, amazing salt marsh views.", as well as any other fees which might be required depending on their circumstances, including a dog charge, early check-in or later check-out fee, or a pool heater fee for private swimming pool usage during the autumn or spring months.
What is the Cancellation Policy?
Ensure that you understand the cancellation policy prior to reserving. You'll likely be offered trip insurance. Trip insurance, which normally costs between 1% - 5% of your standard rental price, can provide guests with reimbursement of their vacation costs (and subsequent vacation property costs) for any days missed resulting from personal health emergencies or weather, in addition to hurricane evacuation costs, such as a unforeseen hotel stay or extra gas.
Complete the Reservation
When everything seems right, it's finally time for you to sign a rental agreement. You'll likely be asked to submit a security deposit at time of booking.
Know Who to Call
Put the property manager's contact info into your smart phone and wallet for quick access to answers during your trip.
Congrats! All that is left is enjoying your vacation!
During your Stay
- Take pictures at your arrival. Record the overall condition of the rental property right away. If you discover problems, or if fixes are required contact the home manager without delay. This may protect against disputes during check out.
- Ask questions. You may need guidance for a fireplace, Television or hot tub. Contact your property manager. They are there to assist. A phone call can save several hours of trouble.
- Please remember to respect your nearby neighbors. Locals are likely to be as friendly to you as you are considerate of them. Remember the golden rule and treat others the same way you'd like to be treated by vacationers next to your primary residence.
- Ask a local. Locals are a good source of tips. Who better to ask where to get the best pizza, have a great night out, or the best areas for shopping?
- Make sure you protect the property owner (and your things!) by keeping the vacation home locked up when you are away, just like you would in your own home.
When its Time to Leave
- Clean up a little. Although you're having to pay a housekeeping fee, The rental really should be in good condition. Kitchen sinks filled with pots and pans, surplus beach sand on the flooring and sticky messes should really be dealt with before you leave.
- Once everything is out, begin a walk-through of the property to make certain no damage occurred during your remain. We advise walking through with the rental manager whenever you can (often this isn't possible).. If the property manager is not available, make certain you take photos of the property to record its condition.
- Did you love your stay? Most property management companies and rental search sites make it easy for renters to give feedback. If your vacation rental and/or property manager was first-rate, they'll appreciate your compliments. If something went wrong and they didn't correct it in a practical manner, or when the property wasn't as described, you should make it a point in your review.
Use Your Experience
Did they enjoy their vacation? If everything was outstanding, next year's family vacation planning will be relatively easy. Maybe the property wasn't perfect, and you will better know how to refine your search for the next trip.
- Ocracoke Coffee Co. & Island Smoothie - 0.5 miles
- Dajio - 0.5 miles
- Jolly Roger Pub and Marina - 0.5 miles
- SmacNally's Raw Bar and Grill - 0.6 miles
- Mark's Hot Dogs - 0.6 miles
- Back Porch Restaurant - 0.6 miles
- Thai Moon - 0.6 miles
- The Slushy Stand - 0.6 miles
- Kitty Hawk Kites - 0.5 miles
- Southern Environmental Law - Outer Banks - 0.5 miles
- The Anchorage Inn & Marina - 0.4 miles
- Portsmouth Island Boat Tours - 0.5 miles
- Ocracoke Waterman's Association Exhibit and Education Site - 0.5 miles
- Osprey Charter Fishing - 0.5 miles
- Ocracoke Preservation Society - 0.5 miles
- Portsmouth Island ATV Excursions - 0.5 miles