The Hatteras / Ocracoke ferry is one of the most popular of the seven coastal ferry routes that are orchestrated and managed by the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT.) Open for everyone, with daily runs that occur 365 days a year, the short 40-45 minute island-hopping ferry provides an integral link for Ocracoke Island to the rest of the Outer Banks, and provides visitors of all seasons with an exciting way to enjoy a coastal day trip. For a little bit of completely free entertainment, hop aboard via car, truck, bike or even just on foot, and discover a scenic boat ride that's just as thrilling as discovering the island of Ocracoke itself.
- 3 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- Air Conditioning
- Clothes Dryer
- Coffee Maker
- Deck / Patio
- DVD Player
- Satellite / Cable
About this PropertyIn 2014, the current owners bought the Simon O’Neal House from OPS with the goal of restoring the home to a condition that incorporates all the modern comforts expected by today’s vacationer, but preserves and celebrates it's historical significance. The restoration work, done in close collaboration with OPS and the National Park Service, resulted in a beautiful, period consistent holiday rental home with 3 bedrooms, a bunk room, 2 full baths, a brand new state of the art kitchen, front and back porches, a second story outdoor space off the master bedroom and modern luxuries such as central HVAC, wireless internet and [satellite/cable T.V.] in every room.
Please note these Check-in Day Requirements for this unit:
Jan 08 2020 - Dec 31 2020 : Sunday check-in mandatory. Sunday check-out mandatory.
Tips to Save Money on your Rental
- Many rental managers and rental houses provide Ocracoke area discount magazines which include offers, either offered individually by local companies, or utilizing a relationship between the property manager and the local merchant itself. Keep an eye out for these publications and coupon books, since this allows vacation goers to enjoy those great attractions at a generally substantial discounted.
- Are you able to adjust your trip dates? Shoulder seasons feature amazing promotions.
- Active Duty and veterans of the U.S. Armed forces may be qualified for discount rates. Make sure to check with property manager to see if your vacationing gang is eligible for a rate reduction.
- Some properties are particularly suited for specific types of vacationers. Event homes are best for weddings, receptions and corporate escapes. Some homes cater to wildlife enthusiasts. Other properties are situated close to music venues. You'll get the most value from a rental that most thoroughly satisfies your ideal vacation setting, even if it costs a bit more.
- Think about obtaining trip insurance along with your leasing agreement. Trip insurance, which generally add between 1% - 5% of the base rental cost, provides travellers reimbursement of their vacation costs for any days missed due to medical emergencies or hurricanes, in addition to ensuing additional hurricane evacuation costs or charges, such as an unanticipated hotel room stay or extra gas. Trip insurance can be a bank account-saver if the unforseen occurs (heaven forbid!).
The Rental Process
You might be pleasantly surprised to find out just how many properties are available at your destination. Rental homes are gaining in popularity among vacationers, and visitors will find that the sheer number of properties available allows them to find an perfect getaway to accommodate their Ocracoke crew, from low-noise condos to gigantic event homes with several bedrooms.
The vast majority of rentals in Ocracoke are privately operated and many are represented by established local rental management companies. For owners not directly engaged in the management of their property, management companies are instrumental in assisting guests with reserving, checking-in, housekeeping, and any routine maintenance problems that may arise.
Seasoned Ocracoke vacationers have figured out several tips and tricks throughout the years when it comes to renting vacation homes, however many newcomers will be delighted to find that several "methods" are in plain sight, if you know how to look.
How to find and reserve the best rental property:
Do you believe "Newly renovated, historic island home with modern conveniences." is the best rental property for your next family vacation? Look over this check list to confirm it fits all of your preferences.
The Earlier You Begin, The Better The Selection
Ocracoke rentals are reserved many months (and up to a year) in advance. Reserving your vacation property 6-12 months in advance is recommended, whenever possible. Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Years are excellent times to find and book your rental home..
Select a Village and Date
Consensus can be challenging between members of the family, but once this difficult part is complete everything will begin to drop in place.
How Many Bedrooms?
Confirm who is going, and just how many/what sort of bedroom arrangement you need to have. Be mindful that many rental homes advertise maximum guest capacity, which often includes sofa beds in the living area. You will need to determine what is suitable for the party. Precise descriptions of bedrooms and beds are typically accessible on the internet. Otherwise, communicate with the property owner before you reserve the home.
What Are You Prepared to Shell out?
Most rental properties are presented with a price range. Determine the price for your preferred trip. It might be at the top end of the range. Make certain to get cost-sharing commitments from loved ones before booking a costly vacation property. Most rental contracts call for a single individual to be liable for the entire reservation.
Let's Talk Amenities
What property features is your group interested in? Do you only desire a vacation home with a swimming pool, hot tub or beach volleyball court? Would you like to be far from the crowds, or near civilization? Are extras like beach chairs, barbecue grills, umbrellas, beach carts or coolers at your disposal and included with your rental charge? Create a list of priority features to guide filter your search.
Do people in your party have specialized needs? If wheel chair accessibility, elevators, pool lifts or other specialized devices are needed, factor that into your search. Almost all vacation home listings include a list of amenities.
Don't forget to include your best friend! Animal policies are different at each rental. Read descriptions thoroughly. Many limitations might dismiss a prospective rental property. Make sure that you read descriptions and contracts carefully. Extra fees or deposits may be applied to your contract.
Start your Search
Once the location, time and guests are decided, search multiple resources for the greatest rental selection. In combination with Homeaway, VRBO and Tripadvisor, we recommend searching Google for "Ocracoke local vacation rentals" for local property management companies. Local agencies will have a unique collection of rental properties daily and weekly.
Negotiate the Price
When you have identified the rentalhome of your dreams, double check to make sure your trip dates are available.
Some property owners will negotiate rates, and some will not. If they are unwilling to budge on a peak-season trip, try asking for an extra night. This is more effective through the off-season when many rentals sit vacant.
Read the Entire Contract
Read through the complete contract and make certain you understand who is liable for:
- Electric bills
- Telephone service
- Hot Tub Heating
- Cable and pay-per-view TV
- Cleaning Fees
- Trash collection
- Maintenance policies
- Check in & Check Out Key Exchange
- Parking requirements
Get a total that incorporates state taxes, pet and other extra fees.
Ensure you be aware of the cancellation policy before booking. You'll likely be offered trip insurance. Trip insurance shields the renter against emergency situations and weather events, It gives reassurance should catastrophe strike.
Complete the Reservation
When everything looks correct, it's finally time for you to sign a rental agreement. You'll likely have to submit a security deposit at time of reservation.
Keep Your Property Manager's Information
Make sure you get the property manager's contact telephone number and entry/exit procedures for your vacation property. We recommend keeping the contact's details in your smartphone and wallet.
Congratulations! All that is left is enjoying your visit!
During your Stay
- Photograph at your arrival. To make sure no damages are associated with your visit, make a record of any trouble spots of the property. Contact the property manager immediately to report your observations. If there is a dispute about legal responsibility later, having the documented problems and contact attempts could be incredibly helpful.
- You might need guidance for a gas fireplace, Television or spa. Contact your home manager. They are there to help. A phone call can save hours of difficulties.
- Remember to be a good neighbor. Residents will probably be as friendly to you as you are respectful of them. Remember the golden rule and treat others the same way you'd like to be treated by visitors next to your primary residence.
- Ask a local. Residents can often point you in the right direction.
- Enjoy your stay! Be sure to protect the property owner (and your things!) by keeping the home locked up when you are away, exactly like you would in your own home.
Check Out Time
- Clean up a little. Even though you're having to pay a house cleaning fee, The rental home should really be in very good condition. Sinks brimming with dirty dishes, surplus beach sand on the floor and sticky messes ought to be addressed before you leave.
- Be sure to walk through the rental home one last time and look for damages. We advise walking through with the property manager whenever you can (this isn't always the case).. If the property manager is not available, make sure to take photos of the property to record its condition.
- Did you enjoy your vacation? Virtually all rental web sites seek comments after your stay . Rental owners and property managers will appreciate your glowing reviews. If something went wrong, we recommend being understanding but honest about your experience. Top owners and managers will try very hard to rectify the situation.
Use Your Experience
Did everybody have a blast? If everything was perfect, next year's trip planning is going to be relatively easy. If not, you have acquired invaluable rental search experience to help with another search.
- The Slushy Stand - 0.4 miles
- Jolly Roger Pub and Marina - 0.5 miles
- Thai Moon - 0.5 miles
- Mark's Hot Dogs - 0.5 miles
- Creekside Cafe - 0.5 miles
- Ocracoke Pizza Company - 0.5 miles
- Graceful Bakery - 0.5 miles
- Dajio - 0.5 miles
- Kitty Hawk Kites - 0.5 miles
- Southern Environmental Law - Outer Banks - 0.5 miles
- Springer's Point - 0.1 miles
- Ocracoke Island Lighthouse - 0.1 miles
- Ocracoke Lighthouse - 0.2 miles
- Ocracoke Harbor - 0.3 miles
- Ride the Wind Surf Shop - 0.4 miles
- Portsmouth Island ATV Tours - 0.5 miles
- Kitty Hawk Kites - 0.5 miles
- Woccocon Nursery and Gifts - 0.0 miles
- Pamlico Gifts - 0.0 miles
- Ditzy Dames Antiques - 0.2 miles
- Island Path Massage and Personal Retreats - 0.2 miles
- Lake House Day Spa at the Castle B&B - 0.3 miles
- Ride the Wind Surf Shop - 0.4 miles
- Ocracoke Island Trading Company - 0.4 miles