Tips to Save Money on your Rental
- Find the official tourism bureau where you want to vacation. Most established tourism bureaus supply travel guides with promotions for lodging, dining and attractions. Look for these books and coupon books, because this allows vacationers to enjoy the very same attractions with a possibly considerable discounted.
- Willing to switch your trip dates? The off-peak shoulder seasons will offer great rates on weekly rental accommodations.
- Active Duty and veterans of the U.S. Military may be able to get promotions. Make sure to check with property manager to see if your vacationing gang qualifies for a special offer.
- Is there a particular activity that you are most getting excited about ? Make sure that you prioritize your proximity to the adventures and interesting attractions you are most interested in.
- Give thought to obtaining trip insurance along with your leasing contract. Trip insurance, which generally costs somewhere between 1% - 5% of the basic stay price, offers visitors reimbursement of their vacation expenses for any days missed as a result of health related emergencies or weather, and additionally ensuing additional hurricane evacuation costs or expenses, such as an unexpected motel stay or extra fuel. Trip insurance is definitely a bank account-saver if the unforseen happens .
General Rental Tips & Tricks
Newcomers tend to be surprised at the number and selection of short-term rental homes available in the Ocracoke area. Rental accommodations have gained in popularity with the rise of worldwide research sites like Homeaway and VRBO.
Virtually all vacation homes in Ocracoke are privately owned and many are represented by experienced local rental management companies. For owners not directly involved with the management of their properties, management companies are critical in helping travellers with booking, checking-in, housekeeping, as well as repairs and maintenance problems that may arise.
We've constructed a short guide to help you get the most from your vacation property experience.
Searching for and reserving the perfect rental:
Do you think "All That Jazz: Dog friendly, walking distance to the coffee shop." is the best vacation property for your upcoming vacation? Look over this check list to confirm it fits your needs.
Search Early and Frequently
Ocracoke rental homes start booking early. To get the best selection, start your planning and search Six-Twelve months before your vacation. A lot of groups choose to start their search over Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Eve holiday gatherings.
Decide on a Town and Time
Start by choosing which specific area of Ocracoke you want to explore, and the approximate trip dates.
Exactly How Much Vacation rental Do You Need?
Keep a list of attendees. How many beds and bedrooms will you be needing? Remember that most homes list maximum guest capacity, which oftentimes includes sofa beds in the home's living room. It is important to figure out what is acceptable for the company. Specific descriptions of bedrooms and beds are typically available on the internet. Otherwise, speak to the property manager before you reserve the home.
Have a Spending Limit
The majority of rental properties are marketed with a cost range. Determine the cost for your desired week. It could be at the high end of the range. If several groups or family members are sharing the cost, check to make sure each group understands their responsibilities and has approved a maximum they are prepared to chip in. Typically, just one person in the group will be in charge of making the complete reservation and getting each family member's contribution.
Compose a list of "Wants" and "Necessities"
What property features is your group trying to find? Do you only want a rental with a swimming pool, spa or volleyball court? Would you like to be away from it all, or near a city setting? Are mattress sheets included with the rental agreement, or do you need to bring your own? Create a list of priority features to facilitate narrow your search.
Appropriate access can make or break a vacation for the less-mobile. If wheel chair accessibility, elevators, pool lifts or other special equipment is needed, include that into your search. Almost all property postings include a list of amenities.
Have You Considered 4-Legged Family Members?
Remember to include your pets. Although quite a few rental homes allow canine companions, guidelines and costs vary per property. A number of constraints could eliminate a potential rental. Make sure you read agreements and contracts carefully. Charges may apply when pets are added.
Searching the Internet
Many websites exist to match vacationers with property owners.. In combination with Homeaway, VRBO and Tripadvisor, we advise searching Google for "Ocracoke local vacation rentals" for local vacation home management companies. Local rental home management companies proudly offer an exceptional rental experience.
Re-read the description to ensure the property has everything that you need. If something is missing, the rental management company might know of comparable properties that fit your desires and budget..
Some rental owners will negotiate rates, and some will not. If the price isn't negotiable, the number of nights might be. Off-peak weeks will be negotiable more frequently than peak-season..
Read The Agreement
It is advisable to know which services are included:
- Internet Connectivity
- Phone service
- Pool Heating
- Pay Per View Movies
- Cleaning services and housekeeping
- Trash Pickup (and which day?)
- Maintenance (get a phone number)
- Key exchange
- Parking Fees
Get a total that incorporates state taxes, animal and other additional fees.
Make sure you understand the cancellation policy before reserving. Many vacation property contracts include an option for trip insurance. Trip insurance, which typically costs ranges from 1% - 5% of the base rental cost, can provide travellers with reimbursement of their vacation costs (and subsequent rental property costs) for any nights missed as a consequence of personal medical related emergencies or weather, and additionally hurricane evacuation expenses, such as a unexpected hotel stay or extra gas.
Book your Rental Property
When everything looks right, it's finally time to sign on the dotted line. You will likely have to submit a security deposit at time of reservation.
Keep Your Contact's Info
Remember to get the manager's contact telephone number and entry/exit procedures for your rental property. We suggest saving the contact's details in your smartphone and wallet.
Congrats on booking your vacation home! You're on the right path to a phenomenal vacation!
During your Stay
- Record the overall condition of the rental property immediately upon arrival. We also suggest promptly phoning the rental manager with a report of any damage, along with your request for any necessary repairs. This will protect against conflicts during check out.
- You may need guidance for a fireplace, Television set or hot tub. Contact your home manager. They are there to help. A brief phone call eliminates many hassles.
- Be considerate of the neighborhood. Often times, adjacent households are lived in by permanent residents. Respecting late-night quiet hours and parking regulations can make a vacation a little more enjoyable.
- Ask a local. Natives are a great source of suggestions. Who better to ask where to get the best nachos, have a great night out, or the best areas for wildlife?
- Enjoy your stay! Make sure that you protect the owner (and your stuff!) by keeping the rental secured while you are away, exactly like you would at home.
Check Out Time
- Be certain that you've packed everything. Check drawers, bath cupboards and closets.
- Please make sure to walk through the rental home one last time and look for damages. We advise walking through with the rental manager wherever possible (this may not be possible).. If the property owner is not available, remember to take photos of the property to record its condition.
- How was your vacation? Virtually all vacation rental sites ask for testimonials after your stay is complete. Property owners and rental managers will appreciate your glowing ratings. If anything was disagreeable and they failed to correct it in a practical manner, or when the property wasn't as described, you'll want to make it a point as part of your critique.
Learn and Improve
Hold a debrief with your traveling companions. Did they enjoy their rental? We hope this guide helped you find a terrific vacation rental. Otherwise, you've acquired invaluable experience to aid with another search.