The Ocracoke Harbor is easily the busiest quarter mile stretch of Ocracoke Island. Consisting of a small, lagoon-like section of saltwater, and lined by a semi-circle of docks, restaurants, shops, marinas and motels, visitors will find that any and all of the activities on Ocracoke Island can most certainly be found harbor front.
- 3 Bedrooms
- 3 Bathrooms
- Air Conditioning
- Children Welcome
- Clothes Dryer
- Coffee Maker
- Deck / Patio
- Dining Area
- Dishes & Utensils
- DVD Player
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Considered
- Satellite / Cable
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
About this PropertyThe Tom Frank Gaskins bungalow (formerly TF Gaskill) was constructed in 1883 and is on the National Register of Historic Homes. Appreciate a holiday on Ocracoke Island in this historic island home. The bungalow is located on a modest unpaved private lane that handily leads to a footpath offering a brief walk or bicycle ride to stores, galleries, eateries and Silver Lake Harbor.
3 Bedrooms, 2 Baths: 1 Queen and 2 Double beds.
The second floor bedrooms are connected by a modest entryway area (please see photos). A door at the top of the stairway provides privacy to the second floor.
Conveniences include mini-split AC all through the home, baseboard heat (no wood stove), ceiling fans and wireless internet access. Cable TV with DVD and Blu-ray player. The kitchen offers a microwave and dishwasher. Stackable washer/dryer.
Sheets and towels are supplied. Beds are made for your arrival.
Savor the front screened porch, outdoor shower and charcoal grille.
What's New for 2020. Pending contractor scheduling, this home may be raised to 7 feet above ground for the 2020 season.
No Smoking. Pet Amiable - Dogs Only. Limited Parking. Limit of 2 Vehicles.
Brief Stays are available, there is a three nighttime minimum.
First Floor: Open kitchen and dining area with washer/dryer. Living room with TV. Bedroom with Queen bed. Hallway bath with shower stall.
Second Floor: Adjoining bedrooms, each with a Double bed. Hallway bathroom with claw foot tub. A single doorway at the top of the stairs serves the entire second floor.
Bicycle Units, Beach Items, Cottage Items and More!
*Bikes, Beach Items, Cottage and Infant Items, and more are available through Beach Outfitters. Advance orders of Beach Outfitters items can be made any time prior to your arrival by phoning Ocracoke Island Realty.
Tips to Save Money on your Rental
- Find the official tourism bureau where you want to visit. Many established tourism bureaus will offer you guide books with deals for vacation rental management companies, dining and attractions. Be on the lookout for these magazines and discount books, as this allows vacation goers to discover the very same wonderful activities at a generally significantly discounted.
- Prefer to avoid the crowds of people? Off-peak rates are usually a fraction of top costs.
- Several rental companies and owners offer special discounts for active duty and veteran members of the U.S. Military, or returning travelers to the same vacation home. Be sure to ask property owner to see if your visiting group is eligible for a special offer.
- Is there a specific activity that you are most longing for during your stay? Make sure to prioritize your proximity to the adventures and tours you are most excited about.
- Give thought to getting trip insurance with your leasing contract. Trip insurance, which generally add between 1% - 5% of the basic vacation rental cost, offers vacationers reimbursement of their trip expenses for any missed resulting from personal medical emergencies or storms, in addition to ensuing extra hurricane evacuation costs or expenses, like an unanticipated hotel stay or extra gasoline.
How to Book a Vacation Home
First-timers are likely to be surprised at the range and variety of daily, weekly and monthly rental homes available in the Ocracoke area. Vacation home accommodations have gained in popularity with the rise of global research sites like Homeaway and VRBO.
Virtually all rentals in Ocracoke are privately owned and many are represented by well-known local rental management agencies. Vacation home management companies leverage scale, systems and expertise to provide trouble-free operational management on behalf of the property owner..
Seasoned Ocracoke vacationers have discovered a number of tips and tricks over the years when it comes to renting rental properties, however most beginners will be delighted to discover that several "techniques" are in plain sight, if you recognize how to look.
Finding and booking the right rental property:
Before you book "Tom Frank Gaskins: Pet friendly historic home located near the harbor.", go through our brief collection of issues to consider.
The Sooner, The Better
Like many renowned hot spots, In Ocracoke the best rental homes are booked early. To get the best selection, start your planning and search 6-Twelve months prior to your vacation. A lot of households plan to start their search during Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year holiday gatherings.
Decide on a Town and Date
Oftentimes, the hardest part of organizing your trip is figuring out where to search, and when. Once the big decisions are hammered out, the rest is more straightforward.
How Much Vacation rental Do You Really Need?
Keep a list of attendees. How many beds and bedrooms will you be needing? Bear in mind that many vacation rentals advertise maximum guest capacity, which oftentimes includes sofa beds in the home's living room. You will need to figure out what is acceptable for your party. Generally rental home listings will outline each one of the unit's specific bedrooms and mattresses.
Stick to a Budget
Does the preferred vacation property fit your budget during that prime Summer week? If a few individuals or loved ones are sharing the cost, check that each person knows their obligation and has agreed to a maximum they are prepared to pay. One member of your group will need to be given the task of getting contributions and acknowledging responsibility for the entire rental fee at time of booking.
Compose a list of "Wants" and "Requirements"
What home features is your group looking for? Do you simply want a vacation rental with a swimming pool, spa or volleyball court? Do you want to be away from it all, or near a city setting? Are extras like beach chairs, grills, umbrellas, carts or coolers available and included in your rental home payment? Make a list of prioritized "needs and wants" from your company to help narrow your search to the most appropriate rental.
Do people in your crew have specialized needs? If wheel chair access, elevators, pool lifts or other specialized equipment is required, include that into your search. Most property postings include a list of amenities.
Make sure to include your furrry friends. Pets are welcome at a number of rental homes, but guidelines can vary. Many limitations may dismiss a potential rental home. Make certain to read descriptions and contracts carefully. Extra charges may apply when animals are included. If in doubt, ask the property manager and get it in writing.
Start the Search
After the location, time and attendees are decided, search multiple sources for the very best rental selection. In addition to Homeaway, VRBO and Tripadvisor, we recommend searching Google for "Ocracoke local rental properties" for local rental management companies. Aside from offering distinctive rental properties, local companies offer superb service..
Negotiate the Price
When you've found your dream rental, check to confirm your trip dates are available.
While not true for all rental homes, many owners and property managers will make a deal on rates. If the rate isn't negotiable, the number of nights might be. Your easiest potential for a reduced rate will be switching to an off-season week.
Study The Contract
Read through the full agreement and be certain you are aware who is liable for:
- Power bills
- Long Distance Calls
- Pool and hot tub heating
- Cable and pay-per-view TV
- Daily Cleaning (If Available)
- Trash collection
- Maintenance (get a phone number)
- Check in & Check Out Key Exchange
- Parking Fees
Get a total that incorporates taxes, animal and other extra fees.
If you must Cancel
Cancellation policies vary with each rental. You will probably be offered trip insurance. Trip insurance, which frequently costs somewhere between 1% - 5% of your standard rental home cost, provides guests with reimbursement of their vacation costs (and subsequent vacation property costs) for any days missed a result of personal health-related emergencies or storms, and additionally hurricane evacuation expenses, such as a unexpected motel stay or additional gas.
Complete the Booking
After you feel you've identified "the one", start the reservation process. You'll likely be asked to submit a security deposit at time of booking.
Where to Get Assistance
Put the rental manager's contact information into your cell phone and wallet for quick access to answers during your visit.
Congrats on booking your vacation rental! You're on the right path to a fantastic vacation!
During your Stay
- Photograph at your arrival. Record the overall condition of the rental home right away. Call the property manager right away to report your findings. If there is a difference of opinion about legal responsibility later, having the documented problems and communication attempts should be very helpful.
- You may need guidance for a fireplace, TV or spa. Get in touch with your rental manager. They are there to assist. A brief phone call avoids many head aches.
- Remember to be a good next-door neighbor. . Remember the golden rule and treat others the same way you'd like to be treated by visitors next to your home.
- Ask a local. Local people are a terrific source of suggestions.
- Don't forget to protect the owner (and your stuff!) by keeping the rental home locked up while you are away, just like you would in your own home.
- Make sure you've packed all of your personal belongings. Sweep all the rooms in the home for forgotten possessions. Check bath rooms, the garage, kitchen cupboards, patios, the swimming pool area, and anywhere else your personal property might "hide".
- When everything is out, begin a walk-through of the property to make certain no damage occurred during your stay. Whenever possible, do this walk-out assessment with the property owner present. If the property owner is not available, make sure you take photos of the property to record its condition.
- Did you have a great time? Many rental home management companies and rental search sites permit renters to give comments. If your vacation rental and/or property manager was first-rate, they will appreciate your praise. If anything went wrong and they failed to correct it in a practical manner, or if the rental was not as described, you should note that as part of your review.
Did everyone have a great time? With a little luck everything was outstanding and you're ready to reserve the property for next season. If not, you have acquired valuable rental search experience that will help with the next search.
- Dajio - 0.1 miles
- Jolly Roger Pub and Marina - 0.1 miles
- Graceful Bakery - 0.1 miles
- Mark's Hot Dogs - 0.2 miles
- The Slushy Stand - 0.2 miles
- Thai Moon - 0.2 miles
- SmacNally's Raw Bar and Grill - 0.2 miles
- Ocracoke Coffee Co. - 0.2 miles
- Kitty Hawk Kites - 0.1 miles
- Southern Environmental Law - Outer Banks - 0.2 miles
- The Anchorage Inn & Marina - 0.1 miles
- Ocracoke Parasail - 0.1 miles
- Portsmouth Island ATV Tours - 0.1 miles
- Ocracoke Waterman's Association Exhibit and Education Site - 0.1 miles
- Portsmouth Island Boat Tours - 0.1 miles
- Ride the Wind Surf Shop - 0.2 miles