The Ocracoke Wild Horses, or "Banker Ponies" are easily Ocracoke's oldest residents, and have been plodding along the island for the last few hundred years. These famed horses are arguably one of the island's top attractions, and can be easily admired by any Ocracoke visitor via a quick trip to the National Park Service's Ocracoke Pony Pen.
- 2 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- Air Conditioning
- Children Welcome
- Clothes Dryer
- Coffee Maker
- Deck / Patio
- Dining Area
- Dishes & Utensils
- DVD Player
- Kayak / Canoe
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Not Allowed
- Satellite / Cable
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
About this PropertyUnwind and relax at this inviting, comfortable, 2 bedroom, 1 bath bungalow on Ocracoke Island. A Shore Thing is delightfully adorned with charming photography, artwork and eclectic beach decor. The screened in porch extends the living space gorgeously. Adore a meal out to the screened porch for a treat.
Great for a couple or a modest family! A Shore Thing is a brief bicycle ride or walk to stores, galleries and eateries.
2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath: 1 with Queen, 1 with a trundle. 1 Bath has tub/shower.
Additional niceties include AC/H and heater, ceiling fans, wireless internet access, cable TV and DVD player. The kitchen offers a microwave and dishwasher. Telephone. Washer and dryer.
Sheets and towels are supplied. Beds are made for your arrival.
The exterior offers a screened porch, picnic table, hot/cold outdoor shower and park style charcoal grille. Single Kayak. Life jackets are not included, if you wish to rent them, please contact Ride The Wind Surf Shop. They will be joyful to assist.
No Smoking. No Animals Accepted. Parking is limited to 2 cars.
Military Discount Available. Discount can only be applied at time of renting.
Brief Stays are available, there is a three nighttime minimum.
Single story home: Open kitchen, dining and living area with TV/DVD. Bedroom with Queen bed. Bedroom with trundle bed. Hallway Bath with tub/shower. Laundry Closet.
Bicycle Units, Beach Items, Cottage Items and More!
*Bikes, Beach Items, Cottage and Infant Items, and more are available through Beach Outfitters. Advance orders of Beach Outfitters items can be made any time prior to your arrival by phoning Ocracoke Island Realty.
- Search for the official tourism bureau in the area you wish to travel. Most established tourism bureaus will send you tourism guide books with special packages for vacation rentals, restaurants and attractions. These guides provide a good start to your rental home search.
- Able to change your travel week? The off-peak shoulder seasons typically offer amazing rates on weekly rental accommodations.
- Many rental companies and owners offer savings for active duty and veteran men and women of the U.S. Armed forces, or returning guests of the same rental. Make sure to check with vacation rental company to see if your visiting group qualifies for a discounted price.
- Some properties are primarily designed for particular groups of travellers. Event homes are great for weddings, receptions and corporate retreats. Some properties cater to beach bums. Other properties are situated close to music venues. You should prioritize your proximity to the adventures and sights you are most looking forward to.
- Property management companies and individual home owners often offer their clients the option to purchase trip insurance coverage. Trip insurance, which usually add somewhere between 1% - 5% of the base vacation rental cost, offers guests reimbursement of their vacation costs for any days missed as a consequence of health related emergencies or weather, in addition to ensuing extra hurricane evacuation costs or charges, like an unplanned motel stay or additional gasoline. Trip insurance might just be a bank account-saver if the unforseen happens (heaven forbid!).
The Rental Process
First-timers are often surprised at the number and wide range of weekly rental properties available in the Ocracoke area. With such a wide selection, clients are certain to come across a vacation home that fits their wishes and spending plan.
The vast majority of rental homes in Ocracoke are privately owned and many are represented by established local property management agencies. For property owners not directly involved with the management of their rental home, management companies are instrumental in helping guests with making reservations, check-in, house cleaning, as well as routine service problems that may occur.
Seasoned Ocracoke vacationers have identified a few tips and tricks over the years when it comes to renting rental properties, however many newcomers will be delighted to realize that many of these "methods" are in plain sight, if you know where they should search.
Where to find and reserve the best rental home:
Do you think "A Shore Thing: Relax and unwind in this tastefully decorated home." is the best rental home for your upcoming trip? Read through this check list to confirm it fits your preferences.
The Earlier, The Better
Like many popular vacation spots, In Ocracoke the best vacation homes are booked early. For the greatest selection, start your planning and search 6-Twelve months before your trip. Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Years are excellent times to find and reserve your vacation rental..
Find your Area and Determine Dates
Quite often, the hardest portion of preparing for your vacation is figuring out where to go, and when. When the big decisions are tackled, the rest will be simpler.
Selecting an Correctly-Sized Rental
Establish who is going, and how many/what kind of bedroom configuration you need to have. Remember that a lot of vacation rentals advertise maximum guest capacity, which usually includes sofa beds in the living room space. You'll need to determine what is suitable for your family. Specific descriptions of bedrooms and beds are typically accessible on the internet. Otherwise, get in touch with the property manager before you book.
Exactly What Are You Willing to Spend?
Most rentals are presented with a cost range. Determine the cost for your chosen week. It may be at the high end of the range. If many groups or families are sharing the cost, always make sure that each party understands their obligations and has agreed to a maximum they are willing to chip in. A single individual in your group must be given the task of gathering contributions and agreeing to responsibility for the entire rental payment at time of booking.
Let's Discuss Amenities
What home features is the family searching for? Are you looking for a rental with outside lounge? Do you wish to be far from the crowds, or close to civilization? Does the unit have bicycles and body boards available as part of your stay? Gather a list of prioritized "necessities and wants" from your group to help filter your search to the perfect property.
Oftentimes the senior generation has trouble with stairways. Make sure you remember and inquire about wheelchair entry, pool lifts and special equipment requirements..
Your Dog Needs a Holiday, Too
Make sure you include your furrry friends. Even though quite a few rentals permit dogs, rules and charges fluctuate per property. Type of pet, size and breeds can be limited. Read your agreement very carefully! Additional fees or deposits may be applied to your agreement.
Start your Search
Several websites exist to match visitors with rental owners.. In addition to Homeaway, VRBO and Tripadvisor, we recommend searching Google for "Ocracoke local vacation homes" for local rental home management companies. Local vacation rental management companies proudly offer a first-class rental experience.
Re-read the description to make sure the vacation home has everything you need. If something is missing, the property management company might know of very similar homes that fit your style and budget..
Although not true for all properties, many rental owners and property managers will make a deal on rates. If they are unwilling to budge on a peak-season trip, try getting an extra night. This is more effective during the off-season when many rental homes sit vacant.
Read the Contract
You really need to know which services are included:
- Utility bills
- Long Distance Phone Service
- Hot Tub Heating
- Pay Per View Movies
- Cleaning Fees
- Trash collection
- Maintenance policies
- Key exchange
- Parking requirements
In addition to the normal rate, vacationers will have to pay local taxes when renting "A Shore Thing: Relax and unwind in this tastefully decorated home.", along with various other fees which might be mandatory depending on their situation, including an animal charge, earlier check-in or late check-out fee, or a pool heater fee for private swimming pool usage during the fall or spring months.
Do you know the Cancellation Policy?
Be sure to be aware of the cancellation policy prior to reserving. Many vacation property agreements include an option for trip insurance. Trip insurance defends the renter against emergencies and weather events, It offers relief should disaster strike.
Reserve your Rental Home
When everything looks right, it's finally time for you to sign on the dotted line. You will probably need to submit a security deposit at time of reservation.
Know Who to Call
Be sure to get the property manager's contact phone number and entry/exit procedures for your rental property. We recommend keeping the contact's information in your smartphone and wallet.
Congrats on reserving your vacation rental! You're on the way to a fabulous vacation!
During your Stay
- Photograph at your arrival. Take notes of any damages immediately after you arrive. If you discover property damage, or if fixes are needed call the home manager without delay. If there is a dispute about liability later, having the documented problems and communication attempts will be very helpful.
- Ask questions. You could need guidance for a gas fireplace, Television set or spa. Get in touch with your property manager. They are there to help. A phone call can save hours of difficulties.
- Don't forget to be a good neighbor. Residents are likely to be as friendly to you as you are considerate of them. Remember the golden rule and treat others the same way you'd like to be treated by vacationers next to your residence.
- Ask a local. Locals are a great source of advice. Who better to ask where to order the best pizza, have a great date night, or the best spots for shopping?
- Ensure you protect the rental owner (and your stuff!) by keeping the vacation home locked up while you are away, exactly like you would in your own home.
- Tidy up a lttle bit. Even though you're paying a house cleaning fee, The rental home is required to be in very good condition. Kitchen sinks filled with dishes, excessive sand on the flooring and sticky messes should really be remedied prior to leaving.
- Make a point to walk through the rental home one final time and look for damage. Whenever you can, do this walk-out assessment with the property owner present. If the property manager is not available, make certain you take photos of the property to record its condition.
- Did you have an enjoyable time? Most rental websites seek feedback after your stay . Rental owners and rental managers will appreciate your positive critiques. If something went wrong, we recommend being kind but sincere regarding your experience. The best owners and managers will try very hard to rectify the problem.
Learn from your Stay
Hold a meeting with your traveling companions. How did they feel about the vacation rental? If everything was exceptional, next year's trip planning will be relatively easy. If not, you've acquired invaluable rental search experience that can help with the next search.
- Back Porch Restaurant & Wine Bar - 0.1 miles
- Ocracoke Coffee Co. - 0.1 miles
- Pony Island Restaurant - 0.2 miles
- Ocracoke Oyster Company - 0.2 miles
- Back Porch Lunchbox - 0.2 miles
- Sorellas Pizza & Pasta - 0.2 miles
- Ocracoke Pizza Company - 0.2 miles
- Fig Tree Bakery and the Sweet Tooth - 0.2 miles
- Kitty Hawk Kites - 0.5 miles
- Southern Environmental Law - Outer Banks - 0.3 miles
- Portsmouth Island ATV Excursions - 0.1 miles
- Blackbeard Museum at Teach's Hole - 0.2 miles
- Deepwater Theater and Music Hall - 0.2 miles
- Austin Boat Tours - 0.2 miles
- The Glass Bead & Java Junction - 0.3 miles
- Tradewinds Tackle Shop - 0.3 miles