Many newcomers to the Outer Banks who are browsing the local restaurants, shops and area attractions online or in the local guide books notice an interesting addition to the standard address. Besides the typical business name, street name, street number and town, many local businesses also include a Milepost number. This may initially appear to be an odd notation to include, but on the Outer Banks, this is incredibly helpful to new visitors on the lookout for a specific restaurant or shop.
- 2 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- Air Conditioning
- Children Welcome
- Clothes Dryer
- Coffee Maker
- Deck / Patio
- Dining Area
- Dishes & Utensils
- Iron & Board
- Living Room
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Not Allowed
- Satellite / Cable
- Washing Machine
About this PropertyRelish a holiday hideaway on Ocracoke's Silver Lake Harbor. Harbor House is located just a few feet from the waterfront, offering extraordinary harbor vistas from the living area, den and huge waterfront bedroom. Adore appealing on the ground level outdoor space or waterside screened porch which offers outdoor dining with a view of Silver Lake Harbor and the Ocracoke Lighthouse. Watch the boating and kayaking activity and savor your front row seat to Ocracoke's impressive sunsets. Harbor House is ideal for those seeking waterfront living with a convenient location for cycling and strolling the village. Located near stores, galleries and eateries.
Private deep water boat dockage on Silver Lake Harbor accommodates up to a 30 foot boat.
2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath: 1 with King, 1 with Queen. Sleeper Couch in living area.
Conveniences include central air conditioning/heat, ceiling fans, wireless internet access and 1 cable TV. The kitchen includes a microwave. Washer and dryer.
The exterior offers boat dock, a screened porch, ground level outdoor space and hammock. Outdoor Shower. Garage.
*This home does not give linens.
No Dishwasher. No Telephone.
No Smoking. No Animals Accepted. Limit of 2 modest cars or 1 generous car (limited parking/turnaround area).
Military Discount Available. Discount can only be applied at time of renting.
Brief Stays are available, there is a three nighttime minimum.
Single story home: Living room with Sleeper Couch and TV with den alcove. Open kitchen and dining area. Bedroom with King and bedroom with Queen bed. Bath with tub/shower.
Bicycle Units, Beach Items, Cottage Items and More!
*Linens, Bikes, Beach Items, Cottage and Infant Items, and more are available through Beach Outfitters. Advance orders of Beach Outfitters items can be made any time prior to your arrival by phoning Ocracoke Island Realty.
Tips to Save Money on your Rental
- Search for the official tourism bureau where you want to travel. Many established tourism bureaus offer promotional travel guides with special deals for rental homes, dining and activities. Keep an eye out for these magazines and coupon books, as this allows vacationers to take advantage of the same terrific attractions at a generally substantial discounted.
- Want to avoid the crowds? Shoulder seasons special offer fantastic prices.
- Active Duty and veterans of the US Military may be eligible for cost savings. Make sure to confirm with property manager to see if your visiting group qualifies for a reduction.
- Some vacation rentals are basically designed to serve specific clients, whether it is beachfront rentals with fishing pier passes, city-center homes with close access to night life or waterfront homes that have private kiteboarding launching areas. Make sure to prioritize your proximity to the activities and attractions you are most excited about.
- Give thought to getting trip insurance along with your lease agreement. Trip insurance, which usually add somewhere between 1% - 5% of the base vacation rental price, offers visitors reimbursement of their rental costs for any days missed a result of personal health emergencies or hurricanes, in addition to ensuing extra hurricane evacuation costs or charges, such as an unanticipated hotel room stay or additional gas. Trip insurance is definitely a bank account-saver if the unforseen happens .
The Rental Process
You may be pleasantly surprised to learn just how many properties are available at your destination. Rental homes are gaining in popularity among vacationers, and visitors will find that the sheer number of rental homes available allows them to find an perfect retreat to fit their Ocracoke gang, from quiet condos to larger event homes with several bedrooms.
Vacation homes are frequently owner operated or managed by property management companies. Rental owners frequently select management companies to manage promoting and marketing, housekeeping and maintenance tasks.
Here are some tips and suggestions to help you navigate the vacation rental search and reservation process.
Searching for and booking the best rental home:
Before you decide to book "Harbor House: Enjoy relaxing on the waterside screened porch.", review our brief list of factors to consider.
Search Early and Often
Ocracoke rentals start booking early. To guarantee the greatest choice of vacation homes, we advise searching and reserving your Ocracoke rental 6-12 months before your travel dates, whenever feasible. Many families choose to begin their search over Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Eve holiday gatherings.
Select your Place and Travel Week
Consensus can be tough among family, but as soon as this tricky part is finished everything will start to slide in place.
Selecting an Properly-Sized Rental
How many relatives are planning to share your getaway? Bear in mind that a lot of properties advertise maximum guest capacity, which often includes sofa beds in the living room space. You will need to figure out what is most appropriate for your company. Precise descriptions of bedrooms and beds are usually accessible on the internet. Otherwise, speak to the property owner before you reserve the home.
Stay on a Budget
Make sure that "Harbor House: Enjoy relaxing on the waterside screened porch." suits your price range *during your desired dates*. If multiple individuals or relatives are sharing the cost, always make sure that everyone understands their responsibility and has approved a maximum they are prepared to pay. One member of your family needs to be given the task of getting payments and agreeing to responsibility for the entire rental fee at time of reservation.
Let's Talk Amenities
What amenities is the group interested in? Are you looking for a vacation property with patio dining area? Are you more interested in wildlife or nightlife? Are items like beach chairs, grills, beach umbrellas, beach carts or coolers at your disposal and included with your rental home charge? Gather a list of "needs and preferences" from your party to help filter your search to the most suitable property.
Special Factors to consider
Elderly guests will thank you for not renting a stairs-access-only property on the Third floor. If wheel chair accessibility, elevators, pool lifts or other specialized devices are needed, include that into your search. Almost all property postings include a list of amenities.
Your Puppy Needs a Holiday, Too
Are you or other members of the gang travelling with a furry friend? Animal guidelines are different at each property. Study descriptions carefully. Type of animal, size and breeds could be limited. Make sure you study descriptions and contracts carefully. Service fees may apply when pets are included. Ask questions *well before* you reserve!
Start your Search
When the area, time and family members are decided, search multiple sources to find the best rental home selection. In addition to Homeaway, VRBO and Tripadvisor, we advise searching Google for "Ocracoke local rental properties" for local vacation rental management companies. Local companies frequently have a unique assortment of rentals daily and weekly.
Re-read the description to ensure the vacation rental has everything required. If something is missing, the rental home management company might know of very similar homes that suit your preferences and budget..
Although not true for all rental properties, many rental owners and property managers will make a deal on rates. If they are unwilling to budge on a peak-season stay, try asking for an additional night. Off-peak season offers your best chance to negotiate a lower rate.
Study the Contract
Learn which of the following is included in your quoted rate:
- Power bills
- Telephone service
- Hot Tub Heating
- Cable and pay-per-view TV
- Cleaning services and housekeeping
- Trash Pickup (and which day?)
- Maintenance (get a phone number)
- Key exchange
- Parking Space
In addition to the normal price, vacationers will need to pay state taxes when renting "Harbor House: Enjoy relaxing on the waterside screened porch.", as well as any other additional fees that may be mandatory based upon their situation, including a pet charge, earlier check-in or late check-out fee, or a pool heat fee for private pool usage during the fall or spring months.
Make sure you are familiar with the cancellation policy prior to booking. Many rental contracts include an option for trip insurance. Trip insurance safeguards the renter against emergency situations and weather events, It gives comfort should disaster strike.
Complete the Reservation
After you feel you've identified "the one", begin the booking process. You'll likely be required to submit a security deposit at time of reservation.
Keep Your Contact's Information
Put the rental manager's contact information into your phone and wallet for quick access to answers during your trip.
Congratulations! All that is left is making the most of your vacation!
During your Stay
- To assure no damages are associated with your visit, make a record of any trouble spots of the rental. If you discover damages, or if fixes are required call the rental manager right away. If there is a dispute about legal responsibility later, having the documented problems and communication attempts will probably be valuable.
- When there is any ambiguity about vehicle parking, policies of the house, house access, pool functions, etc... we advise you ask the rental home manager immediately. A brief phone call prevents many headaches.
- Please be considerate of the neighborhood. Permanent residents often times live within earshot. Remember the golden rule and treat others the same way you'd like to be treated by vacationers next to your home.
- Ask a local. Locals are a great source of tips. Who better to ask where to get the best chicken wings, have a great night out, or the best areas for shopping?
- Ensure you protect the owner (and your stuff!) by keeping the rental secured while you are away, just like you would at home.
At the end of your stay
- Clean up a little. Despite the fact that you're spending money on a house cleaning fee, The rental should really be in sound condition. Kitchen sinks brimming with pots and pans, surplus beach sand on the floor and sticky messes should really be remedied before leaving.
- Once everything is out, do a walk-through of the property to verify no property damage occurred during your stay. If at all possible, do this walk-out inspection with the property owner present. If the property owner is not available, make certain you take photos of the property to record its condition.
- Did you have a good time? Many rental home management companies and rental search sites allow renters to provide reviews. If the rental home and/or property manager was great, they will appreciate your positive reviews. If something was wrong and they didn't fix it in a reasonable manner, or when the rental wasn't as described, you will want to make it a point in your feedback.
Did they enjoy their vacation? With some luck everything turned out to be exceptional and you are ready to reserve the same property for next year. Maybe the rental property wasn't quite right, and you'll better recognize how to filter your search for the next trip.
- Graceful Bakery - 0.0 miles
- Dajio - 0.0 miles
- Mark's Hot Dogs - 0.0 miles
- Jolly Roger Pub and Marina - 0.1 miles
- SmacNally's Raw Bar and Grill - 0.1 miles
- The Slushy Stand - 0.1 miles
- Thai Moon - 0.2 miles
- Creekside Cafe - 0.3 miles
- Kitty Hawk Kites - 0.0 miles
- Southern Environmental Law - Outer Banks - 0.2 miles
- Ocracoke Waterman's Association Exhibit and Education Site - 0.0 miles
- Ocracoke Parasail - 0.1 miles
- Portsmouth Island ATV Tours - 0.1 miles
- The Anchorage Inn & Marina - 0.1 miles
- Ride the Wind Surf Shop - 0.2 miles
- Ocracoke Harbor - 0.2 miles