Ocracoke's long history has some interesting highlights, but none of the local legends and legacies are as far-reaching or as popular as the island's local pirates. As the temporary home to a crew of notorious buccaneers, including Blackbeard himself, Ocracoke is the destination of choice for pirate lovers who want to explore the stomping grounds of the island's most notorious residents.
- 2 Bedrooms
- 3 Bathrooms
- Air Conditioning
- Children Welcome
- Clothes Dryer
- Coffee Maker
- Deck / Patio
- Dining Area
- Dishes & Utensils
- DVD Player
- Living Room
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Not Allowed
- Satellite / Cable
- Washing Machine
About this PropertyWelcome to 'Blue Heaven.' This glamourous bungalow is located at the end of a peaceful lane in a cloistered residential area of Ocracoke Island. Blue Heaven includes an open floor plan with dining table for four to six visitors and bar seating for two. Unwind on a outdoor space off of either the dining area or kitchen. Retreat to the lookout outdoor space. French doors in the living area enter onto a screened porch.
2 Bedrooms, 2 Baths: 1 with King, 1 with two Twins. The living area offers a Queen Size Sleeper Couch. First floor bathroom has shower only and a second floor bath has claw foot tub.
Conveniences include central air conditioning/heat, ceiling fans, 3 cable TVs and 2 DVD players. The kitchen offers a microwave and dishwasher. Washer and dryer. Iron (No ironing board).
The exterior offers two decks, a screened porch, a lookout outdoor space, porch swing, hammock swing, picnic table, hot/cold outdoor shower, fish cleaning bench and modest charcoal grille.
*This home does not give linens.
No Internet Access. No Telephone.
No Smoking. No Family Animals Accepted. Limit of 3 cars.
Military Discount Available. Discount can only be applied at time of renting.
Brief Stays are available, there is a three nighttime minimum.
First Floor: Open kitchen, dining and living area with TV/DVD. Queen Sleeper Couch in living area. Bath with shower. Laundry Area.
Second Floor: Bedroom with King bed, TV. Bedroom with two Twin beds, TV. Hallway Bath with Claw Foot Tub.
Bicycle Units, Beach Items, Cottage Items and More!
*Linens, Bikes, Beach Items, Cottage and Infant Items, and more are available through Beach Outfitters. Advance orders of Beach Outfitters items can be made any time prior to your arrival by phoning Ocracoke Island Realty.
How to Save Money on Your Rental
- Many property owners and vacation properties supply Ocracoke area travel discount books which include coupons, either offered independently by local companies, or by a partnership between the property manager and the local itself. These guides can provide a great start to your rental search.
- Flexible about when you can travel? The off-peak seasons typically offer fantastic rates on weekly rental properties.
- Are you a military veteran? Quite a few property management companies provide concessions to vets and active-duty servicemembers. Be sure to check with property manager to see if your travelling gang qualifies for a reduced price.
- Some properties are primarily suited for specific groups of guests. Event homes are best for weddings, wedding receptions and corporate meetings. Some properties appeal to beach bums. Other rentals are positioned close to music venues. You will definitely get the best value from a rental which most thoroughly satisfies your ideal trip setting, even if it costs a little more.
- Management companies and individual rental owners typically offer guests the option to buy trip insurance. Trip insurance, which generally add somewhere between 1% - 5% of the base term cost, provides travellers reimbursement of their rental expenses for any days missed resulting from health related emergencies or storms, in addition to ensuing extra hurricane evacuation costs or charges, like an unforeseen hotel stay or additional gasoline.
How to Book a Rental Home
First-timers are sometimes shocked at the number and wide selection of short-term rental homes available in the Ocracoke area. Rental homes are gaining in popularity among vacationers, and visitors will find that the sheer number of rental homes available makes it possible to find an suitable retreat to fit their Ocracoke crew, from peaceful condominiums to grand event homes with several bedrooms.
The majority of rental homes in Ocracoke are privately owned and many are represented by established local rental management agencies. Property management companies are liked by owners because they manage the promotion and operations..
Seasoned Ocracoke vacationers have figured out a handful of tips and tricks throughout the years when it comes to renting rental properties, however many newcomers will be delighted to learn that several "methods" are in plain sight, if you understand where to look.
Finding and reserving the best rental property:
Do you believe "Blue Heaven: Secluded, at the end of a quiet lane, lookout deck." is the best vacation property for your next trip? Read this checklist to confirm it fits your needs.
Search Early and Often
Ocracoke rentals start booking early. To find the best selection, start your planning and search Six-Twelve months in advance of your vacation. Many groups choose to start their search during Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Eve gatherings.
Pick a Town and Time
Consensus can often be difficult between family, but as soon as this difficult part is complete everything will quickly slide in place.
Select a Size
Take a head count. How many beds and bedrooms will you need? Be aware that a lot of vacation rentals list maximum guest capacity, which often includes sofa beds in the family room. You will need to figure out what is acceptable for the company. Precise descriptions of bedrooms and beds are commonly accessible on the internet. Otherwise, get in touch with the property manager before you reserve the home.
Stay on a Budget
The majority of rental homes are presented with a price range. Confirm the cost for your chosen trip. It could be at the high end of the range. If many individuals or family members are sharing the cost, be certain that each party understands their responsibilities and has approved a maximum they are willing to contribute. A single member of your company must be given the task of getting repayments and agreeing to responsibility for the complete rental fee at time of booking.
Make a List of "Wishes" and "Needs"
What amenities is the group trying to find? Are you looking for a vacation property with outside lounge? Will the property need to be oceanfront, in the downtown area, or near night life? Does the property have bicycles and beach toys for use throughout your stay? Make a list of prioritized "needs and preferences" from your company to help filter your search to the perfect property.
Suitable access could make or ruin a vacation for the less-mobile. Make sure that you remember and inquire about wheel chair accessibility, pool lifts and specialized equipment needs..
Make sure you include your companion! Pet guidelines are different at each rental. Read descriptions thoroughly. Many constraints might eliminate a potential rental property. Make sure to study descriptions and contracts carefully. Extra fees or costs may be applied to your contract. When in doubt, ask the property owner and get it in writing.
Searching the Internet
When the location, travel dates and family members are decided, search multiple sources to get the best rental home selection. Besides Homeaway, VRBO and Tripadvisor, we advise searching Google for "Ocracoke local vacation homes" for local rental home management companies. Local companies usually have a unique collection of rental homes daily and weekly.
Negotiate the Price
When you've found the rentalhome of your dreams, make sure your trip dates are available.
Although not true for all rental homes, many property owners and property managers will make a deal on rates. If they are unwilling to budge on a highly-desirable week, try getting an additional night. Off-peak weeks will be negotiable more often than peak-season..
Read the Total Contract
Discover which of the following is included in your quoted rate:
- Electric bills
- Internet Connectivity
- Long Distance Phone Service
- Hot Tub Heating
- Pay Per View Movies
- Cleaning Service
- Trash collection
- Maintenance (get a phone number)
- Check in & Check Out Key Exchange
- Parking Space
Get a total that includes state taxes, pet and other additional fees.
If you wish to Cancel
Cancellation policies are different for each rental. You will likely be offered trip insurance. Trip insurance, which frequently costs anywhere between 1% - 5% of the standard rental home rate, can provide travellers with reimbursement of their vacation costs (and subsequent vacation property costs) for any nights missed as a consequence of personal health care emergencies or weather, in addition to hurricane evacuation expenses, such as a unforeseen motel stay or additional gas.
Complete the Reservation
As soon as you believe you've identified "the one", begin the reservation process. Keep in mind that most rental contracts will require a considerable rental down payment and/or security deposit to cover the rental owner.
Get Contact Details
Put the property manager's contact info into your smart phone and wallet for convenient access to answers throughout your stay.
Congrats! All that is left is making the most of your visit!
During your Stay
- Photograph at your arrival. Take notes of any wear and tear immediately after you arrive. We also recommend promptly phoning the rental home manager with a report of any damages, along with your request for any repairs. If there is a dispute about legal responsibility later, having the documented problems and communication attempts should be very helpful.
- Ask questions. When there is any ambiguity about vehicle parking, policies of the property, property access, pool operation, etc... we suggest you ask the property manager promptly. A phone call can save hours of difficulty.
- Make sure to be a good next-door neighbor. . Remember the golden rule and treat others the same way you'd like to be treated by visitors next to your residence.
- Ask a local. Local people are a fantastic source of recommendations.
- Enjoy your stay! Be sure to protect the owner (and your stuff!) by keeping the home locked up while you are away, just like you would in your own home.
- Make sure you've packed all of your belongings. Sweep every room in the home for forgotten items. Check bathrooms, the garage, cabinets, patios, the pool area, and anywhere else your personal property might "hide".
- Please make sure to walk through the rental one last time and check for damages. Whenever you can, do this walk-out assessment with the property owner present. If the property owner is not available, be sure to take photos of the property to record its condition.
- Did you love your vacation rental? Just about all rental home management companies and vacation rental websites allow renters to offer comments. If the rental home and/or property manager was terrific, they'll appreciate your positive reviews. If anything was unsatisfactory and they did not correct it in a practical manner, or if the rental wasn't as described, you'll want to note that in your feedback.
Learn from your Experience
Hold a vacation recap meeting with your traveling companions. Did everybody have a blast? Hopefully this guide helped you find a great home away from home. If the rental wasn't ideal, and you will better understand how to improve your search for the next trip.
- Ocracoke Coffee Co. - 0.5 miles
- Back Porch Restaurant & Wine Bar - 0.5 miles
- Howard's Pub & Raw Bar Restaurant - 0.5 miles
- Cafe Atlantic - 0.5 miles
- Plum Pointe Kitchen - 0.5 miles
- 1718 Brewing - 0.5 miles
- Helios' Hideaway - 0.5 miles
- Fig Tree Bakery and the Sweet Tooth - 0.5 miles
- Kitty Hawk Kites - 0.8 miles
- Southern Environmental Law - Outer Banks - 0.7 miles
- Portsmouth Island ATV Excursions - 0.5 miles
- Austin Boat Tours - 0.5 miles
- Blackbeard Museum at Teach's Hole - 0.6 miles
- Tradewinds Tackle Shop - 0.6 miles
- Deepwater Theater and Music Hall - 0.6 miles
- The Glass Bead & Java Junction - 0.7 miles