- 1 Bedrooms
- 2.5 Bathrooms
- Air Conditioning
- Beach Chairs
- Beach Towels
- Clothes Dryer
- Coffee Grinder
- Coffee Maker
- Deck / Patio
- Dining Area
- Dishes & Utensils
- DVD Player
- Hair Dryer
- Ice Maker
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Lobster Pot
- Non Smoking Only
- Not Suitable For Children
- Outdoor Furniture
- Pets Not Allowed
- Porch / Veranda
- Satellite / Cable
- Towels Provided
- Video Library
- Washing Machine
- Wireless Internet
About this PropertySecond Wind bungalow is a real home away from often comment that staying here is like visiting friends.
Great care is taken by the owners to ensure the delight of every guest. The bungalow is ideal for a couple, or a couple with a modest kid.
It has an open, airy floor plan with tons of windows and two sliding glass doors leading to decks that overlook the canal, a very well-supplied kitchen, and many modest touches that help make your stay more pleasurable. We pride ourselves on offering a tidy, inviting, and well maintained bungalow.
If you've never been to Ocracoke, you're in for a treat. It's one of the most unique places many will have the chance to visit. With 13 miles of pristine beach, it's no wonder it was voted the number one beach in the country in 2007. It's not hard to fall in adore with the smooth going, laid back lifestyle.
If you're in the mood to stay busy, there's tons to do from inshore and offshore fishing with native guides, cycling, raking your own clams, kayaking and parasailing to shopping and trying one of the many great eateries on the island.
If you're more into peaceful, kick back on the porch in one of our locally made Adirondack chairs and watch egrets, ducks and otters off the back outdoor space, or chill out with a rent or movie from the home.
If you have been here before, there's always a few new places to check out and a chance to rediscover why you came to Ocracoke in the first place.
- Find the tourism bureau where you want to vacation. Many tourism bureaus offer printed guides with savings for accommodations, restaurants and tours. Keep an eye out for these publications and discount books, as this allows vacationers to take advantage of those great attractions at a sometimes substantial discounted.
- Desire to steer clear of the crowds of people and get a better price? Shoulder seasons offer terrific prices.
- Are you a armed forces veteran? Several vacation rental companies provide discounted prices to veterans and active-duty forces. Be sure to check with vacation rental company to see if your travelling gang is eligible for a price reduction.
- Some homes are primarily designed for particular groups of vacationers. Large event homes are best for weddings, receptions and corporate retreats. Some homes appeal to beach bums. Other rentals are situated close to night life. Be sure to prioritize your proximity to the activities and places of interest you are most looking forward to.
- Vacation rental companies and individual property owners generally offer their customers the chance to purchase trip insurance protection. Trip insurance, which generally add somewhere between 1% - 5% of the base vacation rental cost, provides buyers reimbursement of their rental costs for any nights missed due to health related emergencies or hurricanes, and additionally ensuing extra hurricane evacuation costs or expenses, such as an unforeseen hotel stay or extra fuel.
How to Book a Vacation Home
Newcomers are likely to be surprised at the number and wide variety of short term vacation rentals available in the Ocracoke area. Rental homes are gaining in popularity among vacationers, and visitors will find that the sheer number of rental properties available makes it possible to find an ideal getaway to suit their Ocracoke gang, from quiet condos to colossal event homes with several bedrooms.
Vacation homes are frequently owner operated or managed by rental management companies. Vacation home management companies leverage scale, systems and expertise to provide trouble-free operational management on behalf of the owner..
We've assembled a brief guide to assist you in getting most from your vacation property experience.
Finding and reserving the perfect vacation property:
Before you book "Beautiful Canalfront Cottage, Perfect for Couples!", review our short list of considerations.
The Sooner, The Better
Ocracoke vacation homes book many months (and up to a year) in advance. To ensure the most desirable choice of vacation homes, we advise searching and reserving your Ocracoke vacation home 6-12 months in advance, whenever possible. Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Years are excellent times to find and book your rental..
Pick your Town and Travel Week
Consensus can be tricky among relatives, but once this complicated part is complete everything will start to drop in place.
Pick a Size
Determine who is joining, and just how many/what particular bedroom arrangement you should have. Be mindful that a lot of vacation rentals advertise maximum guest capacity, which usually includes sofa beds in the family room. You will need to figure out what is suitable for your family. Specific descriptions of bedrooms and beds are typically available on the internet. Otherwise, get in touch with the property owner before you book.
Have a Budget
The majority of rentals are advertised with a cost range. Determine the cost for your preferred week. It may be at the high end of the range. Make sure to get cost-sharing commitments from company before reserving a costly vacation property. In most cases, just one person in the group will be liable for making the full reservation and recovering each person's share.
Rental Home Amenities
What amenities is your family trying to find? Are you looking for a rental with patio dining area? Would you like to be far from the crowds, or close to a city setting? Are mattress sheets offered with the rental, or do you need to provide your own? Make a list of priority features to help filter your search.
Special Things to consider
Grandparents will appreciate you for not reserving a stairs-only condo on the Third floor. Make sure to remember and inquire about wheelchair accessibility, pool lifts and specialized equipment requirements..
Make sure you include your companion! Even though a number of vacation rentals permit animals, rules and costs fluctuate per property. You'll want to read agreements and contracts carefully. Charges may apply when animals are included.
Searching the Internet
Many websites exist to match guests with rental home owners.. Besides Homeaway, VRBO and Tripadvisor, we recommend searching Google for "Ocracoke local rental homes" for local vacation rental management companies. Local vacation rental management companies pride themselves on a top-quality rental experience.
When you have spotted the rentalhome of your dreams, double check to make sure your travel dates are available.
Some rental owners will negotiate prices, and some will not. If they are hesitant to budge on a highly-desirable trip, try asking for an extra night. This is most effective throughout the off-peak season when many homes sit vacant.
Read the Entire Agreement
Read through the whole agreement and be sure you are aware who is liable for:
- Power bills
- WIFI Access
- Long Distance Phone Service
- Hot Tub Heating
- Cable and pay-per-view TV
- Cleaning Fees
- Trash collection
- Maintenance (get a phone number)
- Check in & Check Out Key Exchange
- Parking Fees
Be sure that your quoted fee includes all taxes and fees.
Do you know the Cancellation Policy?
Cancellation policies are different for each vacation rental. You'll probably be offered trip insurance. Trip insurance shields the renter against emergency situations and weather events, It gives you reassurance should catastrophe strike.
As soon as you think you've found "the one", begin the booking process. Do not forget that most rental contracts will require a significant rental deposit and/or security deposit to cover the property owner.
Where to Get Assistance
Make sure you get the property manager's contact telephone number and entry/exit procedures for your rental home. We suggest keeping the contact's information in your smartphone and wallet.
Congratulations! All that is left is enjoying your vacation!
During your Stay
- Take notes of any damages immediately after you arrive. Contact the property manager right away to report your findings.
- Ask questions. You might need guidance for a fireplace, TV or spa tub. Contact your home manager. They are there to assist. A brief phone call helps prevent many headaches.
- Don't forget to respect your neighbors. Often, surrounding households are lived in by permanent residents. Remember the golden rule and treat others the same way you'd like to be treated by vacationers next to your home.
- Ask a local. Natives are a terrific source of recommendations. Who better to ask where to get the best nachos, have a great night out, or the best places for wildlife?
- Enjoy your stay! Make sure to protect the rental owner (and your stuff!) by keeping the home secured when you are away, exactly like you would in your own home.
- Make certain you've packed everything. Examine drawers, bath cupboards and cabinets.
- As soon as everything is out, do a walk-through of the property to make sure no property damage occurred during your stay. We suggest walking through with the property manager whenever possible (this may not be possible).. If the property manager is not available, make sure that you take photos of the property to record its condition.
- Did you have a good time? Many vacation rental management companies and rental websites make it easy for renters to provide feedback. If the rental home and/or property manager was top-notch, they'll appreciate your compliments. If anything was wrong and they failed to correct it in a acceptable manner, or if the property was not as described, you may want to make it a point as part of your review.
Use Your Experience
Hold a meeting with your traveling companions. Did they enjoy their stay? Ideally everything turned out to be ideal and you're ready to re-book the same property for next year. If not, you've acquired invaluable experience to aid with another search.
- Ocracoke Coffee Co. & Island Smoothie - 0.3 miles
- Dajio - 0.4 miles
- Back Porch Restaurant - 0.4 miles
- Jolly Roger Pub and Marina - 0.4 miles
- Thai Moon - 0.4 miles
- Creekside Cafe - 0.4 miles
- Ocracoke Pizza Company - 0.4 miles
- The Slushy Stand - 0.4 miles
- Kitty Hawk Kites - 0.4 miles
- Southern Environmental Law - Outer Banks - 0.4 miles
- The Anchorage Inn & Marina - 0.3 miles
- Portsmouth Island ATV Excursions - 0.4 miles
- The Glass Bead & Java Junction - 0.4 miles
- Portsmouth Island Boat Tours - 0.4 miles
- Ocracoke Waterman's Association Exhibit and Education Site - 0.4 miles
- Osprey Charter Fishing - 0.4 miles