Nothing beats an ice-cold beverage while relaxing on the beach. Nothing is worse than reaching for an icy drink and finding your cans swimming. Coolers are essential for family days on the sand. A good modern cooler will keep food and drinks fresh for days. In addition to beverages, fishermen rely coolers to keep bait fresh, and hopefully the catch of the day. Walk onto any beach or pier in North or South Carolina and you’ll see a plethora of cooler models and sizes. Cooler technology has advanced rapidly in modern years. Top-end hard-sided coolers can keep ice frozen for a week. Soft coolers are easier for one person to carry onto a beach, but can still keep food cool for days. Cooler materials and price points vary wildly, so we put together this guide with our recommendations for your coastal vacation.
- 2 Bedrooms
- 3 Bathrooms
- Air Conditioning
- Children Welcome
- Clothes Dryer
- Coffee Maker
- Deck / Patio
- Dining Area
- Dishes & Utensils
- DVD Player
- Living Room
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Not Allowed
- Satellite / Cable
- Washing Machine
About this PropertyHidden Jewel is tucked away on historic Howard Street. Relish the convenient proximity to Silver Lake Harbor and an inviting assortment of stores, galleries and eateries just a brief walk from your holiday home. As a guest of Hidden Jewel, your rooftop outdoor space offers sensational expansive vistas of Ocracoke Island, Silver Lake Harbor and Pamlico Sound.
Hidden Jewel has unique appeal, offering two separate master suites making this home ideal for two couples, a modest family, or friends appreciating a holiday on Ocracoke Island. Each suite offers a kitchen, superb furnishings, comfortable king size beds and semi-private baths.
2 Bedrooms, 2.5 Baths: 2 Master Bedrooms with semi-private baths (bedroom and hallway access) and a third semi-private sleeping area off the living area with constructed in Twins.
Conveniences include central air conditioning/heat, ceiling fans, wireless internet access, 2 cable TVs and 2 Blu-Ray DVD players. Combined, the kitchen areas offer one dishwasher, 2 fridges and 2 microwaves. Telephone with domestic long distance service. Washer and dryer.
The dazzling, open mid-level suite offers a huge living area, semi-private sleeping area off the main living area, entirely outfitted modern kitchen, dining bar with seating for four and a calming screened porch. One bedroom with King sized bed. Semi-private bathroom with double sinks and tub/shower. The bathroom can be accessed via either the bedroom or master unit private hallway.
The upper floor suite includes a living area and kitchenette with dining table, bedroom with king sized bed and semi-private bathroom with double sinks and shower stall. The bathroom can be accessed via either the bedroom or master suite private hallway. The kitchenette offers a full size refrigerator, microwave, toaster oven and generous cabinetry.
Both master suites have access to both the rooftop outdoor space and entry level laundry area and half bathroom via an internal stairway.
The exterior offers a roof top outdoor space with awe-inspiring expansive vistas and a screened porch. Patio with dining table and both a gas and 2 charcoal grilles. Outdoor shower and fish cleaning bench. Covered parking.
*This home does not give linens.
No Smoking. No Animals Accepted. Limit of 2 cars, including the Covered parking space available for one car.
Brief Stays are available, there is a three nighttime minimum.
First Floor: Half bathroom and laundry area. Common interior stairway accessing all floors and lookout outdoor space.
Second Floor: Open living area with TV, eat-in kitchen and semi-private sleeping area. Bedroom with King bed and semi-private bath with tub/shower. Hallway to stairway to second floor and lookout outdoor space.
Third Floor: Open living area with TV and eat-in kitchen. Bedroom with King bed and semi-private bath with shower stall. Hallway to stairway to first floor and lookout outdoor space.
Bicycle Units, Beach Items, Cottage Items and More!
*Linens, Bikes, Beach Items, Cottage and Infant Items, and more are available through Beach Outfitters. Advance orders of Beach Outfitters items can be made when reserving your holiday unit or added to your reservation any time prior to your arrival. Please visit Beach Outfitters for details or call (877) 741-6645.
Money Saving Rental Tips
- Many management companies and rental homes provide Ocracoke area promotional magazines which feature promotions, either offered independently by local companies, or via a partnership between the property management company and the local business itself. Look for these magazines and coupon books, because this allows travelers to enjoy those great attractions with a generally substantial discounted.
- Willing to change your trip dates? Shoulder seasons feature amazing deals.
- Active Duty and veterans of the U.S. Armed forces may be eligible for discount rates. Make sure to check with vacation rental company to see if your visiting group is eligible for a discounted rate.
- Some properties are particularly designed for specific groups of visitors. Large event homes are great for weddings, wedding parties and corporate retreats. Some rentals cater to wildlife enthusiasts. Other homes are situated close to night life. You will definitely get the most value from a home which most directly suits your ideal vacation setting, even if it costs a tad bit more.
- Think about investing in trip insurance together with your rental contract. Trip insurance, which generally costs between 1% - 5% of the basic vacation rental rate, provides visitors reimbursement of their travel expenses for any days missed a result of personal health emergencies or weather, in addition to ensuing extra hurricane evacuation costs or expenses, such as an unanticipated hotel room stay or additional fuel. Trip insurance is definitely a bank account-saver if the unforseen occurs .
How to Book a Vacation Home
Newcomers are often shocked at the range and variety of daily, weekly and monthly vacation rentals available in the Ocracoke area. With such a wide selection, clients are sure to discover a property that fits their wishes and spending plan.
Rental homes are often owner operated or managed by rental management companies. Property owners typically select management companies to manage web advertising, housekeeping and repairs and maintenance.
Here are some tips and tactics to help you navigate the rental home search and booking process.
Searching for and booking the best vacation property:
Before you decide to book "Hidden Jewel: Rooftop deck with panoramic views of the island.", read through our brief checklist of things to consider.
The Earlier You Start, The Better The Selection
Ocracoke rentals start booking very early. To get the best selection, start your planning and search Six-Twelve months before your vacation. Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Years are excellent times to plan and reserve your vacation rental..
Pick your Town and Vacation Week
Begin by figuring out which particular area of Ocracoke you would like to visit, and the approximate travel dates.
Choose a Size
Keep a list of attendees. How many beds and bedrooms will you need? Be aware that many rental homes list maximum guest capacity, which oftentimes includes sofa beds in the family room. You will need to determine what is acceptable for your company. Most rental listings will outline each of the unit's specific bedrooms and mattresses.
Establish Your Budget
Check to make sure "Hidden Jewel: Rooftop deck with panoramic views of the island." fits your price range *during your desired dates*. Be sure to get cost-sharing commitments from company well before reserving an expensive rental property. Generally, just one person in the group will be in charge of making the whole reservation and collecting each family member's share.
What home features is the family trying to find? Is a screened porch a requirement? Does the property need to be oceanfront, in the downtown area, or in close proximity to shopping? Does the home have bikes and body boards available throughout your stay? Make a list of priority features to facilitate narrow your search.
Accessibility and Special Concerns
Optimal accessibility can make or break a vacation for the less-mobile. If wheel chair accessibility, elevators, pool lifts or other special equipment is necessary, factor that into your search. Nearly all rental postings include a list of amenities.
Have You Considered Furry Family Members?
Are you or other members of the party visiting with a dog or cat? Animal guidelines are different at each property. Read descriptions carefully. Type of animal, size and dog breeds could be controlled. Make certain you read agreements and contracts carefully. Extra fees or deposits may be applied to your agreement. When in doubt, ask the property manager and get it in writing.
Where to Search
When the location, travel dates and guests are decided, search multiple resources for the very best vacation home selection. Together with Homeaway, VRBO and Tripadvisor, we advise searching Google for "Ocracoke local rental homes" for local property management companies. Aside from offering exclusive properties, local companies provide you with top-notch service..
Negotiate the Price
Re-read the description to make sure the vacation rental has everything required. If it is something is missing, the rental management company may know of very similar properties that suit your desires and budget..
Although not true for all properties, many rental owners and property managers will negotiate rates. If they are unwilling to budge on a peak-season trip, try asking for an additional night. Off-peak season offers your best chance to negotiate a reduced rate.
Read the Contract
Find out which of the following is included in your quoted rate:
- Power bills
- WIFI Access
- Long Distance Phone Service
- Pool and hot tub heating
- Pay Per View Movies
- Trash collection
- Maintenance policies
- Check in & Check Out Key Exchange
- Parking Space
Ensure that your quoted fee includes all state taxes and fees.
Cancellation policies are different for each property. You'll probably be offered trip insurance. Trip insurance, which commonly costs between 1% - 5% of the standard rental home cost, can provide guests with reimbursement of their vacation costs (and subsequent rental home costs) for any days missed a result of personal medical related emergencies or weather, in addition to hurricane evacuation expenses, such as a unexpected hotel stay or extra gas.
Complete the Booking
As soon as you believe you've found "the one", begin the booking process. You will likely be required to submit a security deposit at time of reservation.
Know Who to Call
Put the rental manager's contact information into your smart phone and wallet for easy access to answers during your visit.
Congrats! All that is left is making the most of your vacation!
During your Stay
- Record the condition of the rental home immediately upon arrival. Get in touch with the rental manager immediately to report your observations.
- You could need guidance for a gas fireplace, TV or jacuzzi. Get in touch with your home manager. They are there to assist. A phone call can save hours of difficulty.
- Please be respectful of the community. Often times, adjacent households are filled by permanent residents. Remember the golden rule and treat others the same way you'd like to be treated by visitors next to your primary residence.
- Ask a local. Locals may point you in the right direction.
- Enjoy your stay! Remember to protect the rental owner (and your things!) by keeping the property locked up when you are away, exactly like you would in your own home.
When its Time to Leave
- Check to make sure you've packed everything. Check drawers, bath cabinets and closets.
- Make sure to walk through the rental home one final time and check for damage. If possible, do this walk-out inspection with the property manager present. If the property owner is not available, remember to take photos of the property to record its condition.
- Did you have an enjoyable time? Most vacation rental management companies and rental home sites allow customers to offer comments. If the rental and/or property manager was first-rate, they'll appreciate your compliments. If something went wrong, we advise being kind but genuine with regards to your rental experience. Top property owners and managers will work hard to fix the issue.
Learn from your Stay
Hold a debrief with your traveling companions. Did everybody have a great time? Hopefully this guide steered you to a fantastic vacation rental. Otherwise, you've gained invaluable rental search experience that can help with the next search.
- Jolly Roger Pub and Marina - 0.0 miles
- Dajio - 0.1 miles
- The Slushy Stand - 0.1 miles
- Graceful Bakery - 0.1 miles
- Mark's Hot Dogs - 0.1 miles
- Thai Moon - 0.2 miles
- Creekside Cafe - 0.2 miles
- SmacNally's Raw Bar and Grill - 0.2 miles
- Kitty Hawk Kites - 0.1 miles
- Southern Environmental Law - Outer Banks - 0.1 miles
- Ocracoke Parasail - 0.0 miles
- Portsmouth Island ATV Tours - 0.0 miles
- Ocracoke Waterman's Association Exhibit and Education Site - 0.1 miles
- Ride the Wind Surf Shop - 0.1 miles
- The Anchorage Inn & Marina - 0.1 miles
- The Glass Bead & Java Junction - 0.1 miles