For bird lovers, the Outer Banks is hard to beat. This delicate chain of barrier islands is not only home to dozens of different native shorebirds, but also thousands of migrating birds who make a rest stop on the Outer Banks every year. Add to this the fact that the islands have hundreds of miles of deserted beaches, maritime forest, and marshlands for species to quietly flourish, and it's clear that the Outer Banks is literally for the birds.
- 1 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- Air Conditioning
- Children Welcome
- Clothes Dryer
- Coffee Maker
- Deck / Patio
- Dining Area
- Dishes & Utensils
- DVD Player
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Not Allowed
- Satellite / Cable
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
About this PropertyA Gnome Home is tucked away just outdoor the heart of the village, within walking and cycling distance to coffee stores, multiple eateries and shopping.
This new tiny home offers an open floor plan, Master Bedroom with Queen bed and private bath.
Conveniences include wireless internet access, 2 cable TVs, DVD. Air conditioning/heat and ceiling fans. The kitchen includes a refrigerator/freezer, gas stove and microwave. Washer and Dryer.
The exterior offers a covered porch, entry outdoor space, park style charcoal grille and an open outdoor shower with curtain.
Sheets and towels are included. Beds are made for your arrival.
No phone. No dishwasher.
What's New for 2020. Linens Supplied
No Smoking. No Family Animals. Limit of 2 cars.
Military Discount Available. Discount can only be applied at time of renting.
Brief Stays are available, there is a three nighttime minimum.
Bicycle Units, Beach Items, Cottage Items and More!
*Linens, Bikes, Beach Items, Cottage and Infant Items, and more are available through Beach Outfitters. Advance orders of Beach Outfitters items can be made any time prior to your arrival by phoning Ocracoke Island Realty.
Tips to Save Money on your Rental
- Find the tourism bureau where you want to vacation. Many official tourism bureaus will offer you printed guides with special deals for rental properties, restaurants and activities. Be on the lookout for these catalogs and discount books, since this allows travelers to discover the same great attractions with a sometimes significantly discounted.
- Are you willing to modify your travel dates? The off-peak shoulder seasons generally offer incredible rates on rental properties.
- Are you a armed forces veteran? Some rental companies provide discount rates to veterans and active-duty forces. Be sure to ask vacation rental company to see if your visiting gang is eligible for a markdown.
- Is there a certain activity that you are mainly looking forward to during your stay? You'll get the best value from a rental that most closely satisfies your ideal vacation setting, regardless if it costs a bit extra.
- Consider getting trip insurance with your rental agreement. Trip insurance, which usually add anywhere between 1% - 5% of the base stay rate, provides vacationers reimbursement of their travel expenses for any days missed resulting from health related emergencies or hurricanes, in addition to ensuing extra hurricane evacuation costs or expenses, such as an unplanned hotel stay or additional gas. Trip insurance might just be a bank account-saver if the unforseen occurs .
The Rental Process
You might be pleasantly surprised to learn just how many rental homes are available at your destination. Rental homes are gaining in popularity among vacationers, and visitors will find that the sheer number of properties available allows them to find an suitable retreat to suit their Ocracoke gang, from peaceful condos to huge event homes with several bedrooms.
Virtually all rentals in Ocracoke are privately owned and many are represented by experienced local rental management companies. For owners not directly engaged in the management of their home, management companies are instrumental in assisting vacationers with booking, checking-in, house cleaning services, and any routine service problems that may occur.
Here are some ideas and tactics to help you navigate the vacation rental search and booking process.
Searching for and booking the best rental home:
Before you decide to book "A Gnome Home: Convenient to Restaurants and Coffee Shops", review our short list of considerations.
Start Your Search Early
Ocracoke rentals book many months (and up to a year) in advance. Booking your vacation property 6-12 months in advance is recommended, when possible. Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Years are excellent times to plan and book your vacation home..
Select your Area and Travel Week
Consensus can be tricky between loved ones, but as soon as this challenging part is complete everything will quickly slide in place.
Selecting an Adequately-Sized Vacation rental
Take a head count. How many beds and bedrooms will you be needing? Consider that most rentals advertise maximum guest capacity, which usually includes sofa beds in the living room space. You'll need to figure out what is most appropriate for the family. Generally rental listings will outline each one of the unit's specific bedrooms and mattresses.
Exactly What Are You Prepared to Spend?
Make sure "A Gnome Home: Convenient to Restaurants and Coffee Shops" suits your price range *during your desired dates*. Ensure that you get cost-sharing commitments from travel companions well before reserving a pricey rental home. In most cases, a single member of the group will be responsible for making the complete reservation and getting each party's contribution.
Make a List of "Wishes" and "Requirements"
What amenities is the group interested in? Is a screened deck a necessity? Does the unit need to be oceanfront, downtown, or in close proximity to shopping? Will the home have bicycles and body boards for use throughout your stay? Gather a list of prioritized "necessities and wishes" from your company to help narrow your search to the most suitable home.
In some cases the older generation has challenges with stairs. Be sure to remember and inquire about wheel chair accessibility, pool lifts and special equipment needs..
Make sure you include your pets. Even though many vacation rentals permit animals, guidelines and costs fluctuate per rental. Type of pet, size and breeds can be restricted. Read your agreement very carefully! Additional fees or deposits may be applied to your contract. Ask questions *prior to* you reserve!
Searching the Internet
Once the area, dates and family members are decided, search multiple resources to find the best vacation home selection. In combination with Homeaway, VRBO and Tripadvisor, we recommend searching Google for "Ocracoke local rental homes" for local property management companies. Apart from offering exceptional rental properties, local agencies provide you with top-notch service..
When you've identified the rentalhome of your dreams, double check to make sure your vacation dates are available.
Some rental home owners will negotiate prices, and some won't. If the price isn't negotiable, the number of nights might be. Negotiating rates is most effective throughout the off-peak season when many vacation rentals sit vacant.
Read Through The Agreement
Learn which of the following is included in your quoted rate:
- Utility bills
- Internet Connectivity
- Telephone service
- Pool Heating
- Cable and pay-per-view TV
- Daily Cleaning (If Available)
- Trash Pickup (and which day?)
- Maintenance (get a phone number)
- Check in & Check Out Key Exchange
- Parking Fees
Get a total that incorporates state taxes, animal and other extra fees.
What is the Cancellation Policy?
Ensure that you be aware of the cancellation policy prior to reserving. Many rental home agreements include an option for trip insurance. Trip insurance defends the renter against emergencies and weather events, It offers reassurance should disaster strike.
As soon as you believe you've identified "the one", start the booking process. You'll probably have to submit a security deposit at time of reservation.
Get Contact Details
Put the rental manager's contact info into your smart phone and wallet for easy access to answers throughout your stay.
Good luck on reserving your rental! You're on your way to a fabulous vacation!
During your Stay
- Take pictures at your arrival. Record the condition of the rental unit immediately upon arrival. Get in touch with the rental manager immediately to report your findings. If there is a difference of opinion about responsibility later, having the documented problems and communication attempts could be very helpful.
- Ask questions. You could need instructions for a gas fireplace, TV or spa. Call your property manager. They are there to assist. A brief phone call eliminates many hassles.
- Please be respectful of the local community. Many times, adjacent residences are filled by permanent residents. Remember the golden rule and treat others the same way you'd like to be treated by visitors next to your home.
- Ask a local. Locals are a good source of suggestions.
- Enjoy your stay! Make certain to protect the property owner (and your things!) by keeping the vacation home secured while you are away, just like you would in your own home.
Check Out Time
- Double-check each space of the rental home to make certain you've packed all possessions.
- Once everything is out, perform a walk-through of the property to be certain no property damage occurred during your stay. We recommend walking through with the property manager whenever feasible (often this isn't possible).. If the property manager is not available, make sure you take photos of the property to record its condition.
- Did you have a great time? Virtually all rental management company websites ask for comments after your stay is complete. Owners and rental managers will appreciate your favorable critiques. If anything was disagreeable and they didn't fix it in a acceptable manner, or if the property was not as described, you should make it a point in your comments.
Learn and Improve
Hold a debrief with the members of your group. Did they love their vacation? If everything was exceptional, next year's family vacation planning will be simple. If the rental property wasn't perfect, and you will better understand how to perfect your search next time.
- Ocracoke Coffee Co. - 0.2 miles
- Pony Island Restaurant - 0.2 miles
- Ocracoke Oyster Company - 0.3 miles
- Sorellas Pizza & Pasta - 0.3 miles
- Fig Tree Bakery and the Sweet Tooth - 0.3 miles
- Ocracoke Pizza Company - 0.3 miles
- Creekside Cafe - 0.3 miles
- Helios' Hideaway - 0.3 miles
- Kitty Hawk Kites - 0.5 miles
- Southern Environmental Law - Outer Banks - 0.4 miles
- Portsmouth Island ATV Excursions - 0.2 miles
- Blackbeard Museum at Teach's Hole - 0.3 miles
- Deepwater Theater and Music Hall - 0.3 miles
- The Glass Bead & Java Junction - 0.4 miles
- Tradewinds Tackle Shop - 0.4 miles
- The Anchorage Inn & Marina - 0.4 miles