Spring and fall visitors will notice the popularity of kiteboarding on the Outer Banks the moment they ride down a stretch of soundfront highway. In the off-season months, it's not unusual to spot dozens if not hundreds of multi-colored kites lining the skies over the Outer Banks' miles of sound waters.
- As low as $373/Week
- 4 Bedrooms
- 4 Bathrooms
- 4 bathrooms
- 4 bedrooms
- Air conditioning
- Available in all rooms: Internet access
- Available in some public areas: Internet access
- Barbecue grill
- BBQ grill(s)
- Coffee/tea maker
- Fishing nearby
- In a village
- Internet access
- No pets allowed
- On the lake
- On the waterfront
- Sleeps 10
- Smoke-free property
- Smoke-free property
- TV with cable/satellite service
- Washing machine and dryer
About this PropertyLocated across the street from one another with a shared dock, these two properties can be rented together for a special combined rate.
Located directly in the heart of the village, these vacation homes offer a expansive view of Silver Lake Harbor second to none. Shared docking with a pavilion will draw you out each evening to appreciate gorgeous sunsets over the harbor.
In Dock of the Bay the bright and cheery great room offers an open floor plan with kitchen, dining and living room all facing towards the harbor. A spiral staircase leads to an upstairs tower room/loft bedroom. Dock of the Bay has screened porches, wrap around decks and everything you could want in a waterfront rental.
On Silver Lake is a luxury suite for two, located on Silver Lake Road and directly across from the harbor. The open floor plan and huge bay windows accept for an striking view of the harbor.
Tips to Save Money on your Rental
- Search for the tourism bureau where you want to vacation. Most tourism bureaus will send travel guide books with savings for rental properties, dining and activities. Search for these books and promotional books, since this allows travelers to enjoy the same wonderful attractions at a sometimes considerable discounted.
- Is it possible to adjust your dates? The off-peak seasons generally offer phenomenal rates on rental accommodations.
- Active Duty and veterans of the U.S. Armed forces may qualify for price reductions. Make sure to check with property owner to see if your travelling crew is eligible for a rate reduction.
- Some homes are primarily suited for particular groups of guests. Large event homes are perfect for weddings, wedding receptions and corporate escapes. Some properties cater to wildlife enthusiasts. Other homes are positioned close to music venues. Make sure to prioritize your proximity to the family activities and attractions you are most looking forward to.
- Think about getting trip insurance along with your leasing contract. Trip insurance, which generally costs somewhere between 1% - 5% of the base stay rate, offers buyers reimbursement of their rental expenses for any days missed resulting from personal medical related emergencies or hurricanes, and additionally ensuing additional hurricane evacuation costs or charges, like an unplanned motel stay or additional fuel.
General Rental Information
You may be pleasantly surprised to find out how many properties are available at your destination. With such a wide selection, vacationers are sure to find a rental that suits their expectations and budget.
Nearly all rentals in Ocracoke are privately operated and many are represented by established local rental management companies. For property owners not directly involved with the management of their property, management companies are critical in helping guests with booking, checking-in, housekeeping, as well as maintenance problems that may arise.
Seasoned Ocracoke vacationers have identified a handful of tips and tricks over the years when it comes to renting rentals, however most newcomers will be delighted to realize that many of these "strategies" are in plain sight, if you understand where they should look.
Finding and booking the right rental:
Do you believe "Dock of the Bay and On Silver Lake Combined Rental - Blue Heron Realty" is the best vacation property for your upcoming visit? Browse through this check list to make sure it fits your preferences.
The Earlier, The Better
Ocracoke rental properties start booking early. For the greatest selection, begin your planning and search Six-Twelve months before a trip. A lot of households decide to begin their search over Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year gatherings.
Find your Spot and Determine Dates
Sometimes, the hardest portion of preparing for your vacation is deciding where to search, and when. As soon as the big decisions are tackled, the rest will be simplier and easier.
Pick a Size
Take a head count. How many beds and bedrooms will you be needing? Keep in mind that most rental homes advertise maximum guest capacity, which typically includes sofa beds in the living room. You'll need to figure out what is acceptable for the company. Generally vacation home listings will outline each of the unit's specific bedrooms and mattresses.
Make a Budget
Most rental properties are advertised with a cost range. Determine the cost for your preferred week. It may be at the high end of the range. Make sure you get cost-sharing commitments from friends and family well before booking an expensive rental property. A single individual in your family must be in charge of gathering contributions and agreeing to responsibility for the whole rental fee at time of booking.
Its All About Amenities
What amenities is the family looking for? Is a screened deck a necessity? Do you want to be far from the crowds, or near civilization? Are bed sheets offered with the rental agreement, or will you need to provide your own? Gather a list of prioritized "needs and wants" from your party to help filter your search to the most appropriate property.
Proper accessibility could make or break a vacation for the less-mobile. If wheel chair accessibility, elevators, pool lifts or other special equipment is needed, factor that into your search. The majority of property listings include a list of amenities.
Think About 4-Legged Family Members?
Are you or other people in the group traveling with a dog? Although a number of rentals allow canine companions, guidelines and fees vary per property. Type of pet, size and breeds might be restricted. Read your agreement carefully! Additional fees or deposits may be applied to your agreement.
It Is Time to Search
. Besides Homeaway, VRBO and Tripadvisor, we advise searching Google for "Ocracoke local vacation rentals" for local rental home management companies. Local agencies will often have a unique assortment of vacation homes daily and weekly.
When you have identified the rentalhome of your dreams, check to confirm your trip dates are available.
Although not true for all rental homes, many owners and property managers will negotiate rates. If they are hesitant to budge on a highly-desirable week, try getting an extra night. Negotiating rates is more effective through the off-peak season when many rentals sit vacant.
Study the Entire Agreement
Read the complete agreement and make sure you are aware who is liable for:
- Power bills
- WIFI Access
- Long Distance Calls
- Pool Heating
- Cable and pay-per-view TV
- Cleaning Service
- Trash Pickup (and which day?)
- Maintenance policies
- Key exchange
- Parking requirements
In addition to the standard charge, vacationers must pay local taxes when renting "Dock of the Bay and On Silver Lake Combined Rental - Blue Heron Realty", as well as various other fees that may be mandatory based upon their circumstances, including a dog charge, early check-in or later check-out fee, or a pool heat fee for private swimming pool usage during the autumn or spring months.
Cancellation policies are different for each property. Rental home management companies and individual home owners commonly offer their clients the choice to purchase trip insurance. Trip insurance guards the renter against emergencies and weather events, It provides reassurance should catastrophe strike.
Reserve your Vacation Property
When everything seems right, it's finally time for you to sign on the dotted line. You'll probably need to submit a security deposit at time of reservation.
Where to Get Help
Remember to get the property manager's contact telephone number and entry/exit procedures for your vacation property. We suggest saving the contact's information in your smart phone and wallet.
Congrats on booking your rental home! You're on the way to a fabulous vacation!
During your Stay
- Take notes of any property damage when you arrive. We also recommend promptly getting in touch with the rental home manager with a report of any problems, together with your request for any critical repairs. If there is a dispute about legal liability later, having the recorded problems and contact attempts will probably be incredibly helpful.
- Ask questions. You could need guidance for a gas fireplace, Television or spa. Contact your home manager. They are there to help. A brief phone call eliminates many headaches.
- Please be respectful of the community. Frequently, surrounding residences are lived in by permanent locals. Respecting late-night quiet hours and vehicle parking regulations can make a stay a good deal more relaxing.
- Ask a local. Local people are a terrific source of advice.
- Enjoy your stay! Make sure that you protect the rental owner (and your things!) by keeping the vacation rental locked up when you are away, just like you would in your own home.
- Double-check every room of the rental to make sure that you've packed all personal belongings.
- Please make sure to walk through the rental home one last time and look for damage. When possible, do this walk-out review with the property owner present. If the property manager is not available, make certain to take photos of the property to record its condition.
- Did you enjoy your vacation rental? Most property management companies and vacation rental websites permit travellers to give feedback. If your rental home and/or property manager was terrific, they will appreciate your positive reviews. If anything was wrong and they did not fix it in a practical manner, or if the property wasn't as described, you will want to note that in your review.
Learn from your Stay
Does everyone want to re-book next year? With a little luck everything turned out to be outstanding and you're happy to reserve the rental for your next vacation. If not, you've gained useful experience to help with your next search.
- The Slushy Stand - 0.1 miles
- Graceful Bakery - 0.2 miles
- Dajio - 0.2 miles
- SmacNally's Raw Bar and Grill - 0.3 miles
- The Flying Melon Café - 0.3 miles
- Ocracoke Coffee Co. - 0.3 miles
- Sorellas Pizza & Pasta - 0.3 miles
- Ocracoke Oyster Company - 0.4 miles
- Kitty Hawk Kites - 0.2 miles
- Ride the Wind Surf Shop - 0.1 miles
- Ocracoke Harbor - 0.1 miles
- Portsmouth Island Adventures - 0.1 miles
- The Glass Bead & Java Junction - 0.1 miles
- Southern Environmental Law - Outer Banks - 0.2 miles
- Ocracoke Parasail - 0.2 miles
- Ocracoke Lighthouse - 0.2 miles