- 2 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- Air Conditioning
- Carbon Monoxide Detector
- Children Welcome
- Clothes Dryer
- Deadbolt Lock On Entryway
- Deck / Patio
- DVD Player
- Emergency Exit Route
- Fire Extinguisher
- First Aid Kit
- Ice Maker
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Non Smoking Only
- Outdoor Lighting
- Pets Not Allowed
- Satellite / Cable
- Smoke Detectors
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
- Wireless Internet
About this Property***We have an ON ISLAND manager for peaceful of mind during your stay***
The BABY DUCK is a elegant 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom home with a sleeping loft, located along our family's private path near Ocracoke's historic lighthouse.
With its 1920's Bungalow Style Architecture, 9 ft ceilings, wood floors, bead board paneling and crystal doorknobs, it is clear that this home is special. Decorated ideally with local photography and antique treasures, this bespoke constructed home includes an open living and dining area, well supplied kitchen, sundeck, screened porch and gas fireplace. In addition, the hottub bathtub, flat screen TV, DVD player, laundry, outdoor shower, charcoal grille, fish bench and WiFi access give exceptional appreciation during your stay.
The first floor has a calming queen master bedroom with a private attached bathroom. The sunny queen guest bedroom has an effortlessly accessible bathroom just around the corner. The upstairs loft is the answer to a kid's imagination, offering twin beds, a sitting area complete with a second TV, DVD player and the ideal view for spying a pirate ship gliding across the Pamilico Sound. This home is ideal for a charming hideaway, two couples or a family. The screened porch and decks accept for vistas of the garden and marsh, peaceful time in a rocking chair or a nap on the daybed while you adore the afternoon wind.
The BABY DUCK is effortlessly located on the island within simple walking distance to the Ocracoke Lighthouse and Springers Point nature preserve. It is mins. away by foot or by bicycle to Silver Lake Harbor, eateries and shopping. All 13 miles of oceanfront on Ocracoke Island are undeveloped — not a building in sight, just miles of tidy, open, white sand beaches. This most polished beach can be accessed by bicycle or car and has convenient parking, boardwalk and summer lifeguards. With a 4 wheel drive car and proper permit, you can drive on the beach with all of your essentials and find a private spot to call your own.
We appreciate our home and have planned every detail to make your holiday inviting and fun. To ensure that the BABY DUCK is always in tip-top shape, a cleaning/damage deposit is included with your rental rate. Come discover this very special place hidden down our secret path, among the ancient live oaks, salt marsh and sea environments. We know you will appreciate it as much as we do!
Our home is a non-smoking home and family dogs and cats are not allowed. For your appreciation, sheets and towels are available for an additional fee.
Keywords: House, Home, Bungalow, Historic, Beach House
Money Saving Strategies
- Many property owners and vacation rental houses provide Ocracoke area traveller discount magazines which feature money-saving coupons, either offered independently by merchants, or via a relationship between the management company and the store itself. These guides can provide an excellent start to your rental search.
- Are the travel dates changeable? Off-peak rates are usually a fraction of top prices.
- A number of management companies and owners offer discount rates for active duty and veteran men and women of the US Armed forces, or repeat visitors to the same rental. Make sure to confirm with vacation rental company to see if your vacationing group is eligible for a rate reduction.
- Some homes are primarily suited for particular types of visitors. Event homes are best for weddings, wedding parties and corporate meetings. Some homes cater to beach bums. Other properties are situated close to music venues. Be sure to prioritize your proximity to the outdoor activities and points of interest you are most excited about.
- Give thought to purchasing trip insurance along with your lease agreement. Trip insurance, which generally costs anywhere between 1% - 5% of the base rental price, provides guests reimbursement of their travel expenses for any days missed resulting from personal health emergencies or hurricanes, in addition to ensuing extra hurricane evacuation costs or expenses, such as an unforeseen hotel room stay or extra gasoline. Trip insurance can be a bank account-saver if the unforseen occurs (heaven forbid!).
The Rental Process
Some people are shocked to learn just how many vacation rentals are available in Ocracoke. Rental home accommodations have gained in popularity with the rise of international research sites like Tripadvisor and VRBO.
Vacation homes are usually owner operated or managed by rental management companies. Vacation rental management companies leverage scale, equipment and experience to provide easy operational management on behalf of the homeowner..
We have developed a brief guide to help you get the most from your rental experience.
Finding and reserving the right rental home:
Before you start to book "'Baby Duck' -Make Memories in Our Charming Island Bungalow", review our short collection of things to consider.
Start Your Search Early
Ocracoke vacation homes are reserved months (and up to a year) in advance. To find the best selection, begin your planning and search Six-12 months before a trip. Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Years are excellent times to plan and book your vacation rental..
Select a Village and Time
Consensus can be complicated among loved ones, but as soon as this challenging part is finished everything will begin to drop in place.
Pick a Size
Take a head count. How many beds and bedrooms will you need? Bear in mind that most rental homes advertise maximum guest capacity, which often includes sofa beds in the home's living room. It is important to figure out what is most appropriate for your company. Most rental listings will describe each one of the unit's specific bedrooms and beds.
Stick to a Budget
Will the chosen rental suit your budget during that prime Summer week? Ensure that you get cost-sharing commitments from loved ones before reserving an expensive rental property. Typically, a single person in the group will be responsible for making the complete reservation and collecting each family member's share.
Rental Home Features
What amenities is your group looking for? Do you want a vacation property with patio kitchen? Do you desire to be away from it all, or near civilization? Are sheets included with the rental, or will you need to bring your own? Make a list of "necessities and wants" from your group to help narrow your search to the most suitable rental.
Appropriate access could make or ruin a vacation for the less-mobile. If wheel chair accessibility, elevators, pool lifts or other special devices are needed, factor that into your search. The majority of vacation rental postings include a list of amenities.
Make sure you include your companion! Animals are welcome at a number of vacation homes, but guidelines can vary. Read your agreement thoroughly! Extra fees or costs may be applied to your agreement. Ask questions *well before* you reserve!
Start your Search
Many internet resources exist to match guests with rental home owners.. Besides Homeaway, VRBO and Tripadvisor, we suggest searching Google for "Ocracoke local rental homes" for local vacation home management companies. Local agencies frequently have a unique assortment of rental properties daily and weekly.
When you have found the rentalhome of your dreams, make sure your travel dates are available.
While not true for all rental properties, many property owners and property managers will make a deal on rates. If they are hesitant to budge on a highly-desirable week, try getting an additional night. The off-season offers your best chance to negotiate a reduced rate.
Study the Contract
Read through the full contract and make certain you fully understand who is responsible for:
- Electric bills
- WIFI Access
- Long Distance Phone Service
- Hot Tub Heating
- Pay Per View Movies
- Trash Pickup (and which day?)
- Maintenance policies
- Check in & Check Out Key Exchange
- Parking Space
Get a total that includes taxes, pet and other additional fees.
If you want to Cancel
Cancellation policies are different for each property. You will likely be offered trip insurance. Trip insurance safeguards the renter against emergency situations and weather events, It offers relief should tragedy strike.
Book your Rental
Once you think you've found "the one", begin the reservation process. Keep in mind that most rental agreements will require a considerable rental deposit and/or security deposit to protect the home owner.
Know Who to Call
Put the property manager's contact information into your smart phone and wallet for quick access to answers during your trip.
Congrats! All that is left is enjoying your visit!
During your Stay
- Take notes of any damage immediately after you arrive. We also recommend immediately getting in touch with the rental home manager with a report of any problems, together with your request for any repairs.
- When there is any ambiguity about vehicle parking, policies of the house, condo access, swimming pool operation, etc... we advise you ask the rental manager immediately. A brief phone call prevents many head aches.
- Please be considerate of the neighborhood. Local people should be as friendly to you as you are considerate of them. Respecting late-night quiet hours and vehicle parking rules can make a vacation significantly more pleasurable.
- Ask a local. Locals are a terrific source of tips.
- Enjoy your stay! Don't forget to protect the rental owner (and your stuff!) by keeping the vacation rental secured while you are away, exactly like you would at home.
Check Out Time
- Double-check each space of the rental property to confirm you've collected all personal belongings.
- Once your things are all out, perform a walk-through of the rental home to make certain no property damage occurred during your remain. Whenever you can, do this walk-out inspection with the property owner present. If the property manager is not available, make certain to take photos of the property to record its condition.
- How do you feel about your stay? Just about all property management companies and vacation rental websites permit renters to offer reviews. If your rental home and/or property manager was first-rate, they will appreciate your compliments. If something was unacceptable and they failed to correct it in a practical manner, or when the rental home wasn't as described, you will want to note that as part of your comments.
Learn from your Experience
Did everybody have a great time? We hope this guide steered you to a terrific rental home. Otherwise, you've gained valuable experience that can help with another search.
- The Slushy Stand - 0.4 miles
- Jolly Roger Pub and Marina - 0.4 miles
- Mark's Hot Dogs - 0.4 miles
- Thai Moon - 0.4 miles
- SmacNally's Raw Bar and Grill - 0.4 miles
- Dajio - 0.4 miles
- Creekside Cafe - 0.5 miles
- Ocracoke Pizza Company - 0.5 miles
- Kitty Hawk Kites - 0.4 miles
- Southern Environmental Law - Outer Banks - 0.5 miles
- Ocracoke Island Lighthouse - 0.1 miles
- Ocracoke Lighthouse - 0.2 miles
- Ocracoke Harbor - 0.2 miles
- Springer's Point - 0.2 miles
- Portsmouth Island Boat Tours - 0.4 miles
- Ocracoke Waterman's Association Exhibit and Education Site - 0.4 miles
- Kitty Hawk Kites - 0.4 miles
- Pamlico Gifts - 0.1 miles
- Woccocon Nursery and Gifts - 0.1 miles
- Ditzy Dames Antiques - 0.2 miles
- Island Path Massage and Personal Retreats - 0.2 miles
- Lake House Day Spa at the Castle B&B - 0.2 miles
- Ocracoke Island Trading Co. - 0.4 miles
- Ride the Wind Surf Shop - 0.4 miles