How to Save Money on Your Rental
- Search for the official tourism bureau where you want to travel. Many tourism bureaus will offer you guides with special deals for lodging, dining and tours. Search for these magazines and coupon books, as this allows visitors to discover those wonderful attractions with a substantial discounted.
- Want to steer clear of the crowds? The off-peak shoulder seasons frequently offer phenomenal rates on rental accommodations.
- Are you a military veteran? Plenty of rental companies offer concessions to vets and active-duty servicemembers. Be sure to check with property management company to see if your travelling gang qualifies for a discount.
- Some rental properties are practically designed to serve particular customers, whether it is beachfront rentals with weekly pier passes, city-center condos with close access to restaurants or waterfront homes that have private windsurfing launching areas. You'll get the best value from a rental which most directly suits your ideal holiday setting, even if it costs a bit extra.
- Think about purchasing trip insurance along with your rental agreement. Trip insurance, which usually will cost you somewhere between 1% - 5% of the basic rental cost, provides buyers reimbursement of their vacation expenses for any missed due to personal health-related emergencies or hurricanes, in addition to ensuing additional hurricane evacuation costs or expenses, like an unplanned motel stay or additional gasoline.
The Rental Process
You may be surprised to learn just how many vacation homes are available at your destination. Rental accommodations have gained in popularity with the rise of essential search sites like Homeaway and VRBO.
Nearly all rentals in Ocracoke are privately operated and many are represented by experienced local rental management agencies. For owners not directly involved with the management of their vacation home, management companies are instrumental in assisting travellers with booking, checking-in, housekeeping, as well as repairs and maintenance issues that may occur.
Seasoned Ocracoke vacationers have discovered a number of tips and tricks throughout the years when it comes to renting vacation homes, however most novices will be delighted to discover that many of these "techniques" are in plain sight, if you recognize where to look.
Where to find and reserve a great rental property:
Do you believe "Newly renovated pet friendly home with fenced yard." is the best vacation property for your next family vacation? Browse through this check list to make sure it fits your preferences.
The Sooner You Begin, The Better The Choices
Like many popular vacation spots, In Ocracoke the best rental homes are booked very early. Reserving your rental property 6-12 months in advance is recommended, when possible. A lot of families decide to begin their search over Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year gatherings.
Find your Area and Determine Dates
Begin by choosing which specific area of Ocracoke you'd like to visit, and the approximate dates you'll be vacationing.
Decide on a Size
How many relatives are planning to share your getaway? Consider that many rental homes list maximum guest capacity, which oftentimes includes sofa beds in the living room space. You'll need to figure out what is acceptable for your company. Specific descriptions of bedrooms and beds are typically available on the internet. If not, communicate with the property manager before you book.
Make a Spending Limit
Make sure that "Newly renovated pet friendly home with fenced yard." suits your price range *during your desired week*. If many groups or families are sharing the cost, check that each group knows their obligation and has approved a maximum they are prepared to chip in. Most rental contracts require a single individual to be responsible for the entire reservation.
Let's Talk Amenities
What home features is the group interested in? Do you primarily want a property with a swimming pool, jacuzzi or beach volleyball court? Does the unit need to be oceanfront, downtown, or close to shopping? Are items like beach chairs, gas grills, umbrellas, carts or coolers at your disposal and included with your rental home rate? Create a list of priority features to guide filter your search.
Elderly family members will appreciate you for not reserving a stairs-only property on the 3rd floor. Ensure that you remember and inquire about wheel chair entry, pool lifts and specialized equipment requirements..
What About 4-Legged Family Members?
Are you or other members of the gang traveling with a furry friend? Animal friends are welcome at a number of rental properties, but policies can vary. Study your agreement thoroughly! Additional fees or costs may be applied to your contract.
Start your Search
A number of internet resources exist to match clients with rental owners.. Together with Homeaway, VRBO and Tripadvisor, we recommend searching Google for "Ocracoke local rental properties" for local rental management companies. Local companies generally have an exclusive assortment of rental homes daily and weekly.
Negotiate the Price
Re-read the description to be certain the property has everything that you need. If something is missing, the rental home management company may know of similar properties that suit your style and budget..
Although not true for all rental homes, many property owners and property managers will negotiate rates. If they are unwilling to budge on a peak-season week, try asking for an extra night. Off-peak season offers your greatest opportunity to make a deal for a lower rate.
Read the Entire Contract
You will want to know which services are included:
- Internet Connectivity
- Long Distance Calls
- Pool and hot tub heating
- Cable and pay-per-view TV
- Cleaning services and housekeeping
- Trash Pickup (and which day?)
- Maintenance policies
- Check in & Check Out Key Exchange
- Parking Space
In addition to the regular fee, guests must pay state taxes when renting "Newly renovated pet friendly home with fenced yard.", in addition to various other fees which might be required based upon their circumstances, including a dog charge, early check-in or late check-out fee, or a pool heater fee for private pool usage during the fall or spring months.
What's the Cancellation Policy?
Cancellation policies are different with each property. Vacation home management companies and home owners commonly offer their guests the option to purchase trip insurance. Trip insurance, which typically costs ranges from 1% - 5% of your standard rental home cost, can provide travellers with reimbursement of their vacation costs (and subsequent rental costs) for any days missed as a consequence of personal hospital emergencies or weather, in addition to hurricane evacuation expenses, such as a unforeseen hotel stay or extra gas.
Complete the Booking
When you believe you've found "the one", start the booking process. You'll probably be asked to submit a security deposit at time of booking.
Where to Get Assistance
Put the rental manager's contact info into your phone and wallet for easy access to answers during your stay.
Congratulations! All that is left is making the most of your vacation!
During your Stay
- Take pictures at your arrival. Record the condition of the rental home right away. Get in touch with the rental manager immediately to report your findings.
- Ask questions. Should there be any ambiguity about vehicle parking, policies of the house, house access, pool functions, etc... we recommend you ask the rental manager immediately. A phone call can save several hours of difficulties.
- Remember to respect your neighbors. More often than not, adjacent residences are lived in by permanent residents. Respecting late-night quiet hours and parking rules can make a vacation a lot more relaxing.
- Ask a local. Locals can often point you in the right direction. Who better to ask where to get the best chicken wings, have a great date night, or the best areas for night life?
- Remember to protect the owner (and your stuff!) by keeping the rental secured while you are away, exactly like you would at home.
- Tidy up a bit. Although you're paying a house cleaning fee, The rental needs to be in good condition. Kitchen sinks full of pots and pans, excessive beach sand on the floors and sticky messes should be taken care of prior to leaving.
- Please make sure to walk through the rental one final time and check for damage. Whenever you can, do this walk-out assessment with the property manager present. If the property owner is not available, make certain to take photos of the property to record its condition.
- Did you have a good time? Just about all rental home management companies and rental search sites allow renters to offer reviews. If the vacation rental and/or property manager was outstanding, they will likely appreciate your positive reviews. If anything went wrong and they did not fix it in a practical manner, or when the property was not as described, you may want to note that in your review.
How did they feel about the rental choice? If everything was outstanding, next year's trip planning is going to be simple and easy. If not, you've acquired useful rental search experience to aid with your next search.